The Brain

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 08:37:49 AM
dump it into the Mariana Trench.

Sweden stopped dumping nuclear waste in the sea in 1969. :(
but why dig deep holes when you have a natural one. plus all that extra water weight will keep it "buried" down there. i think you should tell your superiors.

Superiors?
fine, bosses. sheesh, so literal :D

I'll run it by them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 07, 2011, 07:30:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 07, 2011, 06:28:00 AM
Launch it into space.   Not at the sun, because there could be radioactive blowback, but point it elsewhere into the void.

As long as the container is strong enough, even a launchpad incident or atmospheric fuck up wouldn't wreak too much havoc.

That space is needed for my 'launch Timmay into the sun' program.

I reverse my position.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 07:27:36 AM
200 years ago in Sweden the government started to worry about the future supply of fine oak for warships. So a program of planting oak was implemented. The trees are about ready for harvest now. Yet somehow it's not extremely important from a naval warfare perspective anymore...
Link? If true that's hilarious.  :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2011, 03:18:46 AM
200 years ago in Sweden the government started to worry about the future supply of fine oak for warships. So a program of planting oak was implemented. The trees are about ready for harvest now. Yet somehow it's not extremely important from a naval warfare perspective anymore...
Link? That sounds hilarious.  :D

Well not that much to link to in English. They planted the oaks on the island of Visingsö in Vättern (Sweden's second biggest lake). 300,000 were planted in the years following 1831. In 1975 the commander of the Swedish navy got a message that the first oaks were ready. He felt he had to decline the offer.

Some mention of the oaks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visings%C3%B6 . The island is a nice place btw.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2011, 03:34:57 AM

Well not that much to link to in English. They planted the oaks on the island of Visingsö in Vättern (Sweden's second biggest lake). 300,000 were planted in the years following 1831. In 1975 the commander of the Swedish navy got a message that the first oaks were ready. He felt he had to decline the offer.

Some mention of the oaks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visings%C3%B6 . The island is a nice place btw.
Military budget's been slashed right? Why doesn't the Navy just sell the lumber?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2011, 04:05:08 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2011, 03:34:57 AM

Military budget's been slashed right? Why doesn't the Navy just sell the lumber?

Well the oak forest has value in itself now from an environmental and historical perspective. It is replanted to replace storm losses and also to ensure a better age spread. Some lumber is sold for use as embassy/palace floors, whisky casks (Swedish whisky http://www.mackmyra.com/), replica Viking ships, etc etc, but large scale logging won't happen.