News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Final deposit of nuclear waste

Started by The Brain, September 07, 2011, 03:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

Why get rid of it at all? Its prime fuel for the next gen reactors.  :)

Maximus

Indeed. My impression is with current technology you can keep re-using the fuel almost indefinitely. The only downside is that it eventually produces weapons-grade plutonium. This is based on a talk I attended some years ago, though, so I may be off.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2011, 08:55:03 AM
I live under 100 miles downwind on the prevailing winds from COGEMA La Hague, which is just across the English Channel from here. So I have a vested interest in seeing this problem solved.

I would hate for anything to happen to those facilities.

??

I thought the prevailing winds in the Channel were west to east.

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2011, 10:52:01 AM
Indeed. My impression is with current technology you can keep re-using the fuel almost indefinitely. The only downside is that it eventually produces weapons-grade plutonium.

You forgot to mention the downside.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maximus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 11:36:16 AM

I think both the risk and cost of a waste containment failure would increase significantly. Of course, there would much less waste to contain.

Any legitimate consumer of weapons-grade plutonium already has more than they need.

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2011, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 11:36:16 AM

I think both the risk and cost of a waste containment failure would increase significantly. Of course, there would much less waste to contain.

Any legitimate consumer of weapons-grade plutonium already has more than they need.

You don't know what I need. :mmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

The "bury it" solution means that you can just dig it up if you want to reprocess the fuel.

It also means that human intervention is one of the major uncertainties about the long term deposit. Much bigger than any naturally occurring future events.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 08:37:49 AM
dump it into the Mariana Trench.

Sweden stopped dumping nuclear waste in the sea in 1969. :(

derspiess

Thought the thread title was Brain's euphemism for taking a dump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2011, 10:59:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2011, 08:55:03 AM
I live under 100 miles downwind on the prevailing winds from COGEMA La Hague, which is just across the English Channel from here. So I have a vested interest in seeing this problem solved.

I would hate for anything to happen to those facilities.

??

I thought the prevailing winds in the Channel were west to east.

south-westerlies.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Bluebook

Do you really think it is politically viable to do it in any other way? I think one of the reasons behind the very favourable public opinion regarding nuclear power is that people feel that the waste will be handled very carefully and not just dumped into the ground.

The Brain

Quote from: Bluebook on September 07, 2011, 03:18:24 PM
Do you really think it is politically viable to do it in any other way?

No. And while it is irrational to worry about nuclear waste given that the irrational worry exists satisfying the irrational fear is rational. Like washing your hands 50 times if you're irrationally afraid of germs.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 02:23:24 PM

but why dig deep holes when you have a natural one. plus all that extra water weight will keep it "buried" down there. i think you should tell your superiors.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 03:26:31 PM

but why dig deep holes when you have a natural one. plus all that extra water weight will keep it "buried" down there. i think you should tell your superiors.

Superiors?

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 07, 2011, 03:26:31 PM

Superiors?
fine, bosses. sheesh, so literal :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.