The Garbon > Martinus Phenomena Explained By Science

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2011, 10:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Fascinating.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110902110146.htm
Sexual Orientation Unconsciously Affects Our Impressions of Others, Canadian Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (Sep. 3, 2011) — Studies by psychologists at the University of Toronto reveal that when it comes to white men, being straight may make you more likable but in the case of black men, gays have a likability edge.

In one study, 22 women and nine men viewed 104 photos of straight and gay black and white males and rated their likeability on a scale of one (not likable) to seven (extremely likable). Participants were not informed that some of the men pictured were gay. While overall, white straight men were rated as more likable than white gay men, black men were rated in the opposite manner: gay blacks were more likable than straight black men.

"We observed that people judge others based on sexual orientation even if they are not consciously aware of whether someone is gay or straight," said doctoral student Jessica Remedios, lead author. "By understanding how sexual orientation affects the rapid evaluations we form about others, we can learn more about predicting and minimizing the negative consequences of homophobia."

In a second study, 36 women and 14 men were divided into groups to view the same 104 photos. One group was instructed to approach whites and avoid blacks by pulling a joystick toward them when a white face appears and pushing the joystick away when a black face appears; the other group was instructed vice versa, to approach blacks and avoid whites. Among participants approaching whites, the responses were faster for the straight men than for the gay. Among participants approaching blacks, however, responses were faster for gay than straight men. "Given that faster approach responses indicate greater positivity toward stimuli, the second study is consistent with the liking expressed in the first study," says Remedios.

"These findings suggest that sexual orientation, despite lacking explicit perceptual markers, infiltrates the automatic impression that is formed. Further, our judgment of gay men depends on whether they are white or black."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I don't know.  Even if I had no idea what they looked like, Garbon would be something of a bitch who likes to play the elitist, whereas Martinus would still be utterly abhorrent and kinda fat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Do Garbon and Martinus really count as black and white respectively? :p
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

I guess gay black men seem less threatening to crackers.

Also,

QuoteIn one study, 22 women and nine men

is not relevant in any scientific way. You need to pick your articles Tim. Lots of shit out there.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2011, 11:36:47 PM
Do Garbon and Martinus really count as black and white respectively? :p

Yeah, Tim's analysis is a tad flawed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Hardly fascinating. It's not that gay black men are more likable than gay white men (idiotic conclusion to the article, btw  :lol:). It means gay black men are more likable than straight black men because gay black men are less threatening as they wouldn't rape white women.

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on September 06, 2011, 11:40:48 PM

Also,

is not relevant in any scientific way. You need to pick your articles Tim. Lots of shit out there.

No kidding. Almost every sentence in this article shows some fallacy.  :lol:

If this was a statistically significant sample, it would show that Canadian women are racist whores.

Slargos

While this study may be lacking in several points, its conclusions make perfect sense and it's possible that a larger study needs to follow.

Fags have an innate desire to flaunt the values of their parent cultures. As such, negro fags turn into pleasant people who don't assault whites, while polish fags become intelligent and articulate [and, you know, knowing Marty is not actually a homosexual.... ... .. .. ... ... perfect sense], and white fags rebel against the civilized nature of aryans in becoming snarky fashion whores who need to paint walls with feces.

Gups

Likeability (is that a word?) is determined by photos now?

jimmy olsen

Also,

The outcome of the study was far to applicable to Languish for me to worry about trivial things like scientific rigor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

Push the joystick towards the gays you like? Calling Dr Freud!

Valmy

Basically as a white dude the media has informed me I am threatened by everything.

If black woman urinates unassisted someplace I start to feel insecure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 07, 2011, 09:51:33 AM

Also,

The outcome of the study was far to applicable to Languish for me to worry about trivial things like scientific rigor.

Indeed from the standpoint that we're unlikely to see any large scale version of this study - any time soon.  But leave it to our great scientists like Zoupa to take issue with a small conversation piece.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I like garbon, but sometimes he gets on my nerves.  To his credit, I think this is entirely deliberate. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

It's more than deliberate, it's forced. He's gotta stay in character!

As a great scientist, I declare gargle mentally ill.