Guilty for fighting the Boer the way they fought them

Started by CountDeMoney, September 06, 2011, 10:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteLaw chief to examine new evidence in Breaker Morant case

Nick Galvin
August 30, 2011 - 12:24AM

MORE than 100 years after Harry "The Breaker" Morant was executed for killing Boer prisoners of war, Attorney-General Robert McClelland is believed to be considering calling a public inquiry into the controversial case.

Mr McClelland will today meet Jim Unkles, a military lawyer and commander in the Australian Naval Reserve, who is leading the campaign on behalf of the descendants of Morant and his co-accused, Peter Handcock and George Witton.

Mr Unkles believes he has vital new evidence showing Morant and the others were victims of a miscarriage of justice and subsequent cover-up by the British authorities.

Among the crucial documents he has unearthed is an opinion from a British military lawyer at the time, James St Clair, mentioning that soldiers had been ordered not to take prisoners.

Mr Unkles said regardless of the time that had passed since Morant and Handcock faced the firing squad in Pretoria jail (Witton's death sentence was commuted), the men deserved justice.

"I'll be telling the Attorney-General directly that after 110 years of no action, controversy and stalling by the British government, this case needs a judicial inquiry," he said. "The descendants want their day in court. There's no request for compensation they just want honour for these three men.

"The government hopefully will take a stand. The descendants of these men and all Australians want justice and that must be put above all other considerations."

Michael Handcock is the great-great grandson of Peter Handcock. He said holding a public inquiry into his relative's death was "a no-brainer".

"This issue has been a bone of contention in our family for over a hundred years," he said. "The British government has fobbed us off on the basis of no new evidence but that's just not true."

Mr McClelland confirmed that his office was examining the new material presented by Mr Unkles and others.

"I've received a number of pieces of correspondence from descendants of Breaker Morant and other advocates regarding the possible existence of new evidence," he said. "I don't want to raise expectations in relation to this matter, but I'm happy to discuss these issues in good faith with family and legal representatives."

However, he added that Australia had no jurisdiction to review decisions made by a British court martial.

Neil

Not even a little jurisdiction.

Live by rule 303, die by rule 303.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

Habsburg

LaCroix

LaCroix

they perverted british south africa from within :(

(i do like that gif, though :D)

Habsburg

The British were nothing more than Gold grabbers in Zuid Afrika!

Slargos

It's only morally repugnant to murder prisoners of war and their families if they're not Germanic, apparently.

May the filthy British forever be cursed into squalor and filth on their despicable little island.  :mad:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 01:45:43 AM
The "I was just following orders" defense? OK...

It appears almost all of the Germans executed following the Nuremberg trials were actually innocent.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Anglofag Kitchener kocksuckers.  You know who you are.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: LaCroix on September 06, 2011, 11:47:46 PM
may god damn those boers

Indeed.

But more importantly, what a waste of fucking time and money.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quote from: Slargos on September 07, 2011, 12:31:59 AM
It's only morally repugnant to murder prisoners of war and their families if they're not Germanic, apparently.

May the filthy British forever be cursed into squalor and filth on their despicable little island.  :mad:

when they subjugated the african, everyone shrugged and went about their business. when they went after the afrikaan... why hate the british simply because they decided race wouldn't play a factor this time around? ;)