Finally, the gub'mint is aware of the Canadian menace

Started by Ed Anger, April 22, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think I will send an email to my friend and see what she says about whether or not border crossing has become more of a hassle in the last decade, and if so, how much more.

She doesn't actually work as a guard anymore, she is an investigator now, so I don't know if that means she will have a more objective view of it, or whether she will just not know.

She had a good story about having some guy who had a warrant out for his arrest come through her crossing point once. Her computer didn't tell he why he was flagged, just that he was. So she made up some excuse for why he couldn't proceed and called her supervisor. This was at 3 am or so, so there wasn't really anyone else around.

Turns out he was under suspicion for killing his wife and her two sisters with an axe. She was asked by a very excited FBI agent to detain him as long as possible without alerting him so they could come and pick him up, but NOT to arrest him, since she had no backup there at the time.

She ended up having a very nice chat with him in the border station while some paperwork was "cleared up" for about 20 minutes before the Feds swooped in and picked him up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 24, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
Well, then, this marks a difference between us, for I believe it is simply an encouragement to continue to be treated like shit.

Is it possible that your perception of being treated like shit does not really match up to you actually being treated like shit?

0 rows returned

garbon

than endorsing people who enjoy petty powertrips and leaving them be petty tyrants.

Why do you think they choose their careers? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 03:06:28 PMThe only making this personal and jumping into the gutter is you. Why is that?

You remind me of a border guard, but since you're not I can tell you off :p

That said - nyah ah, you're the one who started it.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2009, 03:38:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 03:06:28 PMThe only making this personal and jumping into the gutter is you. Why is that?

You remind me of a border guard, but since you're not I can tell you off :p

That said - nyah ah, you're the one who started it.

Nice.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 03:01:52 PM
It's reality.  If you're in an unequal power relationship (I don't care if its teacher-student, border guard-border crosser, or judge-lawyer) if you're being treated like shit the best reaction is to smile and apologize.

Its not fair, but its how the world works.

Well, then, this marks a difference between us, for I believe it is simply an encouragement to continue to be treated like shit. I would much rather have people with power who have values and integrity, than endorsing people who enjoy petty powertrips and leaving them be petty tyrants. This would be impunity.

Of course, there is a difference with being a smartass.

I think its a matter of picking your battles.

Remember the judge from my quote who called me "machiavellian"?  He was the biggest asshole on the bench I'd ever seen.  He was constantly condescending, arrogant and rude.  There wasn't a soul that liked him

But I'd never call him on it.  I'd never say "Sir, please treat me with some respect".  He wasn't going to get any better.  Instead he'd get worse if you tried to do that.  And he had all the power in the world over me in that situation.

Like I said - it's not fair, but its the smart thing to do.

Now that being said I had a couple of transcripts on him, and if he ever really crossed the line I fully intended to report him to the judicial committee.  Its all a matter of picking your battles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 24, 2009, 02:41:02 PM
Sorry, I do not qualify saying «Could you be a little bit more polite, please» as «losing your cool», just like I do qualify detaining someone needlessly and threatening him to arrest him with handcuffs for refusing to cooperate an abuse of power. And if asking someone to be polite is «asking for trouble», then I question where our moral compass is.
Well, if your dad has a french accent, I would imagine the border guard assumed that he was an Arab.  After all, Americans tend to be rather dim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 03:25:34 PM
than endorsing people who enjoy petty powertrips and leaving them be petty tyrants.

Why do you think they choose their careers? ;)

They couldn't be cops?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 12:01:22 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2009, 11:52:15 AM
I look forward to seeing how many pages this thread has ballooned up to when i get back tonight with the Berkut vs Canadian rumble brewing :P

You should thank me for making such fabulous threads.

It's why you can never leave, and if you try to I'll come to Ohio and hunt you down!  :hug:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2009, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2009, 12:01:22 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2009, 11:52:15 AM
I look forward to seeing how many pages this thread has ballooned up to when i get back tonight with the Berkut vs Canadian rumble brewing :P

You should thank me for making such fabulous threads.

It's why you can never leave, and if you try to I'll come to Ohio and hunt you down!  :hug:

:hug:

But I am going to be on much less this summer, and possibly longer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2009, 03:06:05 PM
"The future is we have borders."

She should post on Languish.
No shit.  Plus, join the Church of the SubGenius.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 03:25:24 PM
Is it possible that your perception of being treated like shit does not really match up to you actually being treated like shit?

Of course. Just like your perception of border crossing does not really match up the reality of border crossing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 26, 2009, 09:07:18 AM
Of course. Just like your perception of border crossing does not really match up the reality of border crossing.
Well, if we are being metaphysical, no one's perceptions really match up with reality. :smarty:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2009, 09:17:24 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 26, 2009, 09:07:18 AM
Well, if we are being metaphysical, no one's perceptions really match up with reality. :smarty:
Wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.