Finally, the gub'mint is aware of the Canadian menace

Started by Ed Anger, April 22, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM
Why are we so stupid? Why have we not learned how to use quotes on this board?

Too much lead in our waterhose drinking water. :(

Speak for yourself - my hoses are lead safe! I CARE ABOUT THE CHILDREN!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2009, 11:32:52 AM
It's the quick reply + quote that is the problem. It doesn't place the cursor after the so we type into it.

I use quick reply and I usually manage it well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

The Canadian Borders officers want to be paid more & carry guns. The added difficulties are a pressure medium
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 24, 2009, 11:32:52 AM
It's the quick reply + quote that is the problem. It doesn't place the cursor after the so we type into it.

I use quick reply and I usually manage it well.

There is something bizarre going on. After that message posted, I went back to edit it since I apparently screwed up the quotes somehow (not sure how, I didn't embed quotes or anything).

But it is fine - there is no enclosing quote tags. Shrug.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:34:07 AM
See, all I ever hear is anecdotes though. It is one of those urban legends - fostered by people who just love to bitch about the stereotype of paranoid America.

It's not just anecdotal though.  The US has implemented numerous new requirements on Canadians entering the US.  Lineups at the Canada-US border are lengthier, and it takes longer to cross.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:42:02 AM
See, all I ever hear is anecdotes though. It is one of those urban legends - fostered by people who just love to bitch about the stereotype of paranoid America.

It's not just anecdotal though.  The US has implemented numerous new requirements on Canadians entering the US.  Lineups at the Canada-US border are lengthier, and it takes longer to cross.

But that isn't what we are talking about - we are talking about the penchant for US border guards to "fuck people over" who the "take a dislike to".

And the new requirements apply to Americans going back into America as well.

I wonder if any of this has been quantified? How long does it take on average, and how much has it increased since 9/11? How much of that is due to new security measures, and how much to increased congestion?

0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2009, 11:42:02 AM

Yup, this.

Though there are also plenty of anecdotes on to of the objective and verifiable difficulties about how border guards are less, well, nice & helpful then they used to be.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:44:56 AM

But that isn't what we are talking about - we are talking about the penchant for US border guards to "fuck people over" who the "take a dislike to".

I wonder if any of this has been quantified? How long does it take on average, and how much has it increased since 9/11? How much of that is due to new security measures, and how much to increased congestion?

Berk you are beign a twit.

If I didnt have those tickets and if I had simply had them waiting at the will call window at the stadium, which I usually had done, he would have turned us around.

That would have fucked up our whole weekend.  But like I said if you want to put your head in the sand and ignore that fact that people like me are travelling less to spend money in the states then that is of course your choice.  And likely what your politicians are counting on when when make stupid policy decisions like the Canadian border must be treated the same as the Mexican border.

katmai

I look forward to seeing how many pages this thread has ballooned up to when i get back tonight with the Berkut vs Canadian rumble brewing :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 24, 2009, 11:51:18 AM
people like me are travelling less to spend money in the states then that is of course your choice. 

Good riddance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:44:56 AM

If I didnt have those tickets and if I had simply had them waiting at the will call window at the stadium, which I usually had done, he would have turned us around.

Wow, you read minds now as well? Impressive! You Canadians, always full of surprises!

So tell me, how many people without tickets get turned around every day?

I think someone is being a twit here, but it isn't me. It might be the person generalizing their singular reported experience into a general case, and then somehow managing to assume that even though he was NOT turned around, or "fucked over" why, we should act as if he had, and everyone else is, all the time!

Of course, you have zero actual evidence that any of this has ever actually happened, or happens with any kind of actual regularity. Just a single story of you NOT being turned around, you NOT being "fucked over", and in fact you going along to watch the game.

I guess that is a good reason to not go to any more games - why, what if he lets you through after answering a few questions again????

0 rows returned

Berkut

fact that people like me are travelling less to spend money in the states

If that is happening, for "people like you" I am guessing it has nothing to do with being allowed to go the game after answering a few questions.

Probably some other dynamic in effect, although I guess bitching about "border security" is a decent way to pretend like it has something to do with something other than yourself.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:58:40 AM
If that is happening, for "people like you" I am guessing it has nothing to do with being allowed to go the game after answering a few questions.

Probably some other dynamic in effect, although I guess bitching about "border security" is a decent way to pretend like it has something to do with something other than yourself.

I don't know, I mean I think there is some value in not wanting to do something after a negative experience.  I went to Tijuana once, I probably won't go back again.  I had two crazy nights of making out with women; I also don't think that I'll do that again. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2009, 11:52:15 AM
I look forward to seeing how many pages this thread has ballooned up to when i get back tonight with the Berkut vs Canadian rumble brewing :P

You should thank me for making such fabulous threads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 12:00:51 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:58:40 AM

I don't know, I mean I think there is some value in not wanting to do something after a negative experience.  I went to Tijuana once, I probably won't go back again.  I had two crazy nights of making out with women; I also don't think that I'll do that again. :(

Even if it is just an imagined negative experience?

What if you went to Tijuana, had a great time, enjoyed yourself, but just thought "hey, that could have gone badly if space aliens had space-napped me as we all know they are won't to do!"?

0 rows returned