Finally, the gub'mint is aware of the Canadian menace

Started by Ed Anger, April 22, 2009, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2009, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
I believe you're mistaken.  It was changed post 9/11 that you needed proof of citizenship.  I do remember back in the 90s when I would frequently go into ND that a license was all you needed.

Actually, although they mentioned doing it post 9/11, I don't think it went into effect until much much later.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/passport_requirement.asp

The above site suggests 2008 but I don't know if that is true.

You have misread something. :console:

I said in 2003 you needed proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate.

Your link talks about the requirement for a passport.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Mischievous Canucks invading our pristine, fruited plains!! Stay in your own frozen, snow covered, Dragon infested lands!   ;)

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 04:31:55 PM
Quite honestly I have over the years received much more hassle returning to Canada than I ever have driving into the US.

That has been my experience too.

BTW, a little off topic but just yesterday I had the interview to have the restrictions lifted from my residence permit. You guys(not BB) are stuck with me for another 10 years.

Also, a little more off topic, just today I received my acceptance into the UofI computer Science program. There is cause for celebration tonight. :)

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2009, 06:44:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2009, 06:42:41 PM
This has confused garbon before.

Yeah the story is from when I saw you. :)

Ah... so we had this discussion before in person.  Weird  :huh:  :)

PDH

Quote from: Maximus on April 23, 2009, 08:55:04 PM
Also, a little more off topic, just today I received my acceptance into the UofI computer Science program. There is cause for celebration tonight. :)
Damn foreigners, coming to our universities and stealing places from hardworking American folks.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 07:02:04 PM
You have misread something. :console:

I said in 2003 you needed proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate.

Your link talks about the requirement for a passport.

Actually it also talks about proof of citizenship:

QuoteEffective January 31, 2008  U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers will no longer accept oral declarations of U.S. or Canadian citizenship from those traveling by land or sea.

U.S. and Canadian travelers will be required to present:

* A government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license and
    * A birth certificate or other proof of citizenship;
    * Or - for youth 18 and under - a birth certificate alone
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: PDH on April 23, 2009, 09:19:17 PM
Damn foreigners, coming to our universities and stealing places from hardworking American folks.

Don't forget the wimmin.

katmai

What are the odds of how long now that he has his GC till max dumps meri?

:P

grats Max on both accomplishments.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2009, 04:30:28 PM
I still like how Canada nearly flipped out on me when I entered their country without a license plate (new car).  The same happened with a receptionist at one of the hotels that asked me for my license plate number.  She kept saying "How can you not have a license plate?!"

:bleeding: you tried to cross an international border in a car with no license plate at all, and you were surprised to be harassed?

Warspite

QuoteThis time after I explained that we were going down to see the game he started grilling me about what who played what position.  I had no idea for some of them.  I felt like I was in a really bad WWII movie.

Maybe he thought you were a Brandenburger.  :huh:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

Man, the way the Canaidan border gauards act is truly horrific.

[insert anecdotal story about how terrible they are, really for sure here]

Why, if they treat me like that, I just might stop going to Canada! Except when I want to of course - I sure as hell am not going to let some guy in a uniform decide where I go for entertainment.

YMMV, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2009, 04:31:55 PM

"Crown Prosecutor" and "Corrections Officer".

Dejected he just waives us through, and never made me pay duty.

this is like the best answer.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2009, 06:34:21 PM
The above site suggests 2008 but I don't know if that is true.

It still hasnt.  The implementation was delayed but it looks like it will take effect this fall.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
Man, the way the Canaidan border gauards act is truly horrific.

[insert anecdotal story about how terrible they are, really for sure here]

Why, if they treat me like that, I just might stop going to Canada! Except when I want to of course - I sure as hell am not going to let some guy in a uniform decide where I go for entertainment.

YMMV, of course.

No need to be a troll.

If you are not aware that US border guards are acting much different then they were in the past then consider yourself educated on the point.

If it doesnt concern you that people who would otherwise be making trips into the US but dont because of this shift in behaviour then fine.  But for the some of our US posters might be concerned about that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 08:50:36 AM
I sure as hell am not going to let some guy in a uniform decide where I go for entertainment.

YMMV, of course.

Also, cant let this pass.  Its not some guy playing cop in a uniform, its a guy with enough power to seriously fuck you over if he takes a dislike to you.