22 (35.5%)
Yes, ROTW
1 (1.6%)
No, ROTW
7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2011, 01:36:38 AM
How do you use a gun for "altruistic reasons"?
Altruism is the "practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."  If you use a gun in a way that benefits others without benefitting one's self, one is using the gun for altruistic reasons.

Altruism is often a bit of a difficult concept for non-western people, so don't feel bad that you don't get it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Rasputin on September 07, 2011, 10:24:02 AM

north florida is the wild west :contract:

Almost. I don't need a CCW to keep one in the car.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Yeah, I got guns.  One 22 caliber, and 303, IIRC.  The 303 was sold to my godfather by a veteran of WWII and he gave it to me for my 18th birthday.

None of these guns are working, actually, and I never shot with these, only with father's and grandfather's firearms, wich sadly, where confiscated by the cops after my uncle's attempted suicide.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Rasputin

It depends on where in the car

in fla, in the trunk would be legal without the cwp or more than three steps from operable (iirc)

keeping it loaded and in arms reach requires the permit
Who is John Galt?

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2011, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2011, 08:29:03 AM
I don't, although I wouldn't mind.  I've just never considered it worth the investment, in the device itself and the training needed to use it effectively.

Get yourself a Soviet-made Nagant pistol like what Ed & I have.  I think you can still get one in great condition for less than $100 and as a bonus for you, you get the Soviet markings on it.  Only downside is the ammo.  Actual 7.62x38 Nagant ammo is expensive, though it does work with much cheaper .32 S&W Long and probably some others.

I never did buy one. :weep:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Rasputin

:cry: no wonder europe gets overrun by dictators every few decades; the people ain't got no guns
Who is John Galt?

The Brain

Quote from: Rasputin on September 07, 2011, 10:24:02 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 10:13:25 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on September 07, 2011, 10:05:48 AM
like all good americans, I own 5 so i'm never too far from one; I also have a concealed weapons permit because sometimes one in the briefcase or glove compartment is just prudent

Will you ever afford to move out of the ghetto? :(

north florida is the wild west :contract:

I've been there. :yuk:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Razgovory

I don't, although I wouldn't mind.  I've just never considered it worth the investment, in the device itself and the training needed to use it effectively.

Get yourself a Soviet-made Nagant pistol like what Ed & I have.  I think you can still get one in great condition for less than $100 and as a bonus for you, you get the Soviet markings on it.  Only downside is the ammo.  Actual 7.62x38 Nagant ammo is expensive, though it does work with much cheaper .32 S&W Long and probably some others.

You can even put a suppressor on it, though I'm not sure if that's legal in the US.  I've read the Nagant is one of the few revolvers that will take a suppressor.  Perfect if you need to execute political dissidents with out creating to much noise.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2011, 03:23:04 PM

You can even put a suppressor on it, though I'm not sure if that's legal in the US.  I've read the Nagant is one of the few revolvers that will take a suppressor.  Perfect if you need to execute political dissidents with out creating to much noise.

suppressors are on a state by state basis.

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/default?set=06
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Quote from: Rasputin on September 07, 2011, 10:05:48 AM
like all good americans, I own 5 so i'm never too far from one; I also have a concealed weapons permit because sometimes one in the briefcase or glove compartment is just prudent
If it's not on your body, it's too far from you to be effective protection.  Just sayin'.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt