And we're back!

Main Menu

Japanese support for US military bases grows

Started by jimmy olsen, September 05, 2011, 11:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2011, 03:13:20 AM
Save money.
Japan pays for the US presence there.  We could demobilize the troops to save money, but we could do that anywhere.

QuoteLet other countries take care of their own problems.
All countries?  All problems?  This is mere bumper-sticker doublespeak.

QuoteDecrease animosity between us and them.
Seems likelier to do the opposite.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 10:57:37 AM
The South worries that if Kim starts anything, or if the North just implodes, that the Chinese will move south and make the North an "Autonomous" region of the PRC. Thus necessitating continued militarization of the peninsula and an American presence in perpetuity.   

The chances are that North Korea will collapse.  If it does so violently the South Koreans will likely intervene and in all likelihood so will the US.  I imagine this contingency has been discussed with the Chinese.  There is probably some plans on the shelf for just such an occasion.  The big problem would be the Chinese using this this a chip to barter for Taiwan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2011, 03:13:20 AM
Decrease animosity between us and them.

Isn't that the very premise this article puts into question?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2011, 02:26:14 PM
The South worries that if Kim starts anything, or if the North just implodes, that the Chinese will move south and make the North an "Autonomous" region of the PRC. Thus necessitating continued militarization of the peninsula and an American presence in perpetuity.   

The chances are that North Korea will collapse.  If it does so violently the South Koreans will likely intervene and in all likelihood so will the US.  I imagine this contingency has been discussed with the Chinese.  There is probably some plans on the shelf for just such an occasion. 
I've read that that's not the case.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 05:21:37 PMI've read that that's not the case.

source? i remember back when i had access to jstor that the chinese were vely willing to discuss the matter

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 05:21:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2011, 02:26:14 PM

The chances are that North Korea will collapse.  If it does so violently the South Koreans will likely intervene and in all likelihood so will the US.  I imagine this contingency has been discussed with the Chinese.  There is probably some plans on the shelf for just such an occasion. 
I've read that that's not the case.

It would surprise me if you are right.  I imagine that both sides would very much like to avoid accidents and misunderstandings, something that is likely to happen if Chinese, ROK and US forces all enter NK with out some sort of framework.  Nobody wants to stumble into a war in East Asia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on September 06, 2011, 05:54:56 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 05:21:37 PMI've read that that's not the case.

source? i remember back when i had access to jstor that the chinese were vely willing to discuss the matter
I read an article by a former official who said it wasn't this case. Perhaps he was wrong, or exaggerating matters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 06:52:19 PM

I read an article by a former official who said it wasn't this case. Perhaps he was wrong, or exaggerating matters.

Why don't you search for it, I'm sure if you read it you posted it here as well.

Scipio

Bring the boys back home
Bring the boys back home
Don't leave the children on their own
Bring the boys back home
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2011, 09:20:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 04:43:08 AM
A lot shorter flight than from Guam.

The Airforce bombed Serbia from Missouri right?

Only to justify the B2.
The heavy lifting was done out of Italy, and you know it, smartass.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on September 06, 2011, 07:16:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 06, 2011, 06:52:19 PM

Why don't you search for it, I'm sure if you read it you posted it here as well.
I post like a tenth of the stuff I read at most.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 08:24:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2011, 09:20:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 04:43:08 AM
A lot shorter flight than from Guam.

The Airforce bombed Serbia from Missouri right?

Only to justify the B2.
The heavy lifting was done out of Italy, and you know it, smartass.

We had a powerful congressmen.  He just funneled the military pork into the district.  He lost last year though.  Perhaps we can base the bombers somewhere more sensible now.

Razgovory

I got to thinking on the B2s out at Whiteman.  I've never actually seen one, but I have heard them.  They are pretty loud.  But a thought occurred to me.  I decided to look up UFO sightings in Missouri.  Sure enough, there are quite a few UFO sightings.  Many if not most seem to be along the likely flight path of a B2 bomber and many of the witnesses describe seeing "mysterious black triangles".  So I guess some people are seeing them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2011, 09:02:07 PM
I got to thinking on the B2s out at Whiteman.  I've never actually seen one, but I have heard them.  They are pretty loud.  But a thought occurred to me.  I decided to look up UFO sightings in Missouri.  Sure enough, there are quite a few UFO sightings.  Many if not most seem to be along the likely flight path of a B2 bomber and many of the witnesses describe seeing "mysterious black triangles".  So I guess some people are seeing them.

They're invisible to radar, not to the nekkid eye.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 09:26:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2011, 09:02:07 PM

They're invisible to radar, not to the nekkid eye.

I know.  I think it's somewhat amusing that people are mistaking them for flying saucers.  If I was outside and saw a black triangle or some lights in the sky I'd immediatly think that it was a bomber from Whiteman, not an extraterrestrial on a tourist visit.  I've seen odd lights in the sky further south in Ozarks, but I'm pretty sure it was ball lighting (there was a thunder off in the distance).