News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Postal Service Facing Default

Started by jimmy olsen, September 05, 2011, 09:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2011, 07:50:12 PM
A lot of postal workers aren't really capable of doing a lot of that kind of work.

I don't know how much upper body strength it takes to be a rig pig, but mail men are just about the fittest Americans there are.  With the possible exception of UPS drivers.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2011, 08:35:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2011, 07:50:12 PM
A lot of postal workers aren't really capable of doing a lot of that kind of work.

I don't know how much upper body strength it takes to be a rig pig, but mail men are just about the fittest Americans there are.  With the possible exception of UPS drivers.
I don't think we're talking about just beat mailmen here.  Rig pig does take a fair bit of strength.  I've seen some guys who couldn't hack it, physically.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Privatisation of the post is an awful idea which will only make things worse. Private companies will gobble up the bits that actually make a profit leaving the government to handle the dull day-to-day loss making stuff.

Actually it is. We need to cull the garbage "jobs" that are unproductive to free up that labor to do something worthwhile.

Like what?
It`s a big rising problem in the western world today that there just aren`t enough jobs to go around for the working class. (something I was going to go on about in a new thread but shock, horror, I actually have to work at work today...)
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

With the amount of mail dropping over the years, they could be open MWF, and know one would ever notice.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2011, 10:05:01 PM
With the amount of mail dropping over the years, they could be open MWF, and know one would ever notice.

I still want to get my shit from Amazon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on September 05, 2011, 10:03:06 PM
Privatisation of the post is an awful idea which will only make things worse. Private companies will gobble up the bits that actually make a profit leaving the government to handle the dull day-to-day loss making stuff.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

You're right, it's simply absurd that he thinks that makes any sense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2011, 06:12:50 PM
If I knew jack shit about drilling oil wells, I'd be up there starting a business right now.  :P

unless you moved to the Big City of minot, population 40,000, you'd probably find some hostility what with being a dirty furreiner and all :)

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 12:37:17 AM
:huh:
How doesn't it?
That's what happened in Britain. The government opened up the post to private companies, they instantly jumped at corporate deliveries and other nice profitable parts of the business leaving the unprofitable stuff which still had to be done to the Royal Mail. It did not end well.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2011, 02:48:51 AM
How doesn't it?
That's what happened in Britain. The government opened up the post to private companies, they instantly jumped at corporate deliveries and other nice profitable parts of the business leaving the unprofitable stuff which still had to be done to the Royal Mail. It did not end well.

Works in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

What makes you think the opposite?  I mean, besides blind obedience to ideology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2011, 02:57:02 AM
Quote:huh:
How doesn't it?

Works in Sweden.
In Germany too. Deutsche Post has grown to become the biggest logistics company in the world since privatization and makes reasonable profits each year. The minority of the government gets a nice divident each year. Much better than the bottomless hole it was before privatization.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on September 06, 2011, 02:48:51 AM
How doesn't it?

That's a failure of regulation. One needs to tie in the obligation to deliver post in the Hebrides to the right to make loadsamoney delivering letters within Britain's cities. Or get rid of the cross-subsidy, which I wouldn't favour myself.

Zanza

Are there any privatization success stories in Britain?