News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

911 - it's almost 10 years

Started by Martinus, September 03, 2011, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I got into a reflective mood as the 10th anniversary of 911 approaches.

1. I remember exactly where I were. In a room in my firm, fifth floor of my building, rain outside. On Paradox forum. Remember as the news kept coming in, and people could not believe it. Paradox was the only reliable source of information, as all news websites were overloaded to a crawl.

2. The last decade was a shitty one for the world - wars, the financial market crisis, the works. But for me it was probably the best one. No longer a kid, I got a career, came out - first to myself, then to my parents, then to friends, coworkers, my boss etc. (I was still deep in the closet 10 years ago, and as far as I can remember, still a virgin). Woosh.

3. My boyfriend was 14 when 911 happened. That's surreal. I was an adult, with a job and whatnot.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this. We have spent 10 years together, you fuckers. :P

Caliga

You've come out to your boss?  Why did you do that? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

I don't quite get the relation between 9/11 and your career, sexuality or boyfriend.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 01:54:55 PM
You've come out to your boss?  Why did you do that? :hmm:

Why would I lie/deny?

Although admittedly the final step was more me being outed.

Admiral Yi

Saw an ad on TV the other night with Bobby DeNiro looking a million years old and asking you to text $10 donations to the 9/11 memorial fund.  The memorial itself looks OK, I guess.  Big fountain thing, with a square hole in the middle, I suppose to symbolize the depths of hell to which all Muslim souls descend.  Looks way better than that bizarre MLK statue at least.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2011, 02:01:53 PM
Why would I lie/deny?

Not saying you should hide your orientation or anything like that.  I don't know if my boss is gay and I doubt he knows if I am or not.  But if you "were outed" then I guess that's different... I was thinking you'd made a point of sharing with him, which is what I thought was odd. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Slargos

If someone sold a celeratory bottle of sparkling wine where the proceeds went to the victory statue, I would definitely buy it.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2011, 02:01:53 PM
Why would I lie/deny?

Not saying you should hide your orientation or anything like that.  I don't know if my boss is gay and I doubt he knows if I am or not.  But if you "were outed" then I guess that's different... I was thinking you'd made a point of sharing with him, which is what I thought was odd. :)

Well it's a long story.

To start, my boss is female.

She is a very personable person and talks about personal stuff, like her kid or her husband or whatnot, and we spend a lot of time together on transactions etc.

I never outward told her I am gay but I always referred to my current boyfriend as my "partner" or "significant other" (and not "girlfriend" or "boyfriend") so I guess that was a first hint. She also made a point of telling me, whenever the topic turned to anything gay-related, that her nephew is gay and she has many gay friends etc. She also sits on our firm's global diversity committee (on account of being a woman I suppose).

So some time ago, I came out to two people at my work, with whom I hanged out a lot, including one guy. Later on he got into a conflict with his immediate supervisor and eventually left the firm for another one. He had a difficult personality but I usually took his side when my boss asked for my opinions about the conflict. Eventually, after he left, me and her got into a talk about him during our summer retreat a month ago or so (we were both in our cups), and she said she had mixed feelings about him and I insisted he was a good guy. So she told me that she used to like him but then she changed her opinion about him because he outed me to her apparently and she thought it was a dick move on his part. She however assured me she is entirely fine with it and whatnot. And then asked me about my boyfriend and stuff.

So that's how I came out to my boss. :P

Slargos

While looking for pictures to troll the Americans with, I stumbled onto this and my attention was diverted for a time.  :sleep:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2011, 02:03:27 PM
Saw an ad on TV the other night with Bobby DeNiro looking a million years old and asking you to text $10 donations to the 9/11 memorial fund.  The memorial itself looks OK, I guess.  Big fountain thing, with a square hole in the middle, I suppose to symbolize the depths of hell to which all Muslim souls descend.  Looks way better than that bizarre MLK statue at least.

The MLK statue is really weird.  It looks like some of the old Soviet war memorials.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

i remember on 9/11 finding it incredibly amusing that some girl was breaking down in tears and utterly distraught simply because her cousin happened to be visiting new york city at the time. it made really little sense at all that the cousin would have been in any danger, unlikely to be touring fucking world trade center that early in the day, so i rejected her fears--not publicly, but to myself. later the class had a mini-freak out when we heard a plane fly over the city during the no-fly-zone period. i thought- really? we're worried about an attack on fargo? 7th grade had a lot of stupid people :(

garbon

I can't wait till next week when we can have a 9/11 thread about 9/11 and not about Marti's life 10 years ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2011, 03:20:45 PM
The MLK statue is really weird.  It looks like some of the old Soviet war memorials.

Yeah I think that was poorly done.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.