News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sword of the Stars

Started by Caliga, September 03, 2011, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Is this game good.  I've been missing space 4x lately.  I know there's a sequel due out soon, but I don't like this genre quite enough to ever pay full price for a game, and it looks like I can get a bundle of the original plus all expansions for $20.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

I have played around with it a bit but not recently.  I remember there are some parts I liked and found interesting, but I can't remember specifics.  Ont eh downside the 3-D maps are really hard to get used to and the real time space battles never did much for me.  I do know quite a few people who really like the game though.

Caliga

So do you think it's worth $20?

Ed Anger

The 3-D map will drive you bonkers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 01:01:12 PM
So do you think it's worth $20?

I guess to me it depends on how you feel about the real time battles.  I know I said before they "never did much for me" but that isn't true, I actively dislike them.  I don't like them in Total War games, I don't like any RTS games no matter how much I want to.  If you enjoy/can tolerate the real time battles I think there is definitely enough interesting stuff in the game to make it worth $20.

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 03, 2011, 01:15:13 PM
The 3-D map will drive you bonkers.

I didn't like them at first either.  I ended up mostly playing on the flat 2-D map they have, I think they called it a disc.  Once I got more comfortable I moved on to some of the other maps, they were always a bit annoying though.

Caliga

This game has real time battles but is otherwise turn based, right?  I like that "Total War"-style setup (and I do like the TW games).  I passed on Sins of a Solar Empire when I heard it was entirely real-time.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on September 03, 2011, 01:30:28 PM
This game has real time battles but is otherwise turn based, right?  I like that "Total War"-style setup (and I do like the TW games).  I passed on Sins of a Solar Empire when I heard it was entirely real-time.

Yes.

Caliga

Ok, another question: how does control of the battles compare to TW?  Do you actively move ships around or just say "attack" or "defend" and pretty much watch the outcome?

sbr

I am pretty sure you move the ships around and decide when and where to fire.

The Brain

20 bucks? No way. I mean it's not horrible but 20 bucks for a several years old game?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

It sucks.
The 3D map does indeed drive one mad.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

How's the 3D map in comparison to, say, the Homeworld games?  They're full-3D, but the nav is done via a disc plane with variable altitude.
Experience bij!

Berkut

Kind of amazing that after all this time there still really hasn't been a 4X game that has been really good, say compared to MOO2.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

JonasSalk

Sins of a Solar Empire? Galactic Civilizations 2?
Yuman