News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WTF Trondheim

Started by Viking, September 02, 2011, 06:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

From Agent Trondheim from X.Files, through planet Trondheim from Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the dead" and through to Tronjheim from Eragon. WTF is up with the sci-fi and fantasy community constantly coming back to my hometown. So whats up? Is the name funny or ominous or exotic? Can someone explain this to me?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

The has a very exotic, Nordic sounding name.  Also, it is rather well known, but only through the lens of the Northern War and Battle of the Atlantic in WWII, which makes it even more dramatic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

What Neil said. In addition, Nidaros has a long and rich history for those of such bent.

It's not your hometown though. You just live there.

Next you'll suggest that if you stuff a cockroach into a pile of manure that it suddenly becomes a pig.  :mad:

Norgy

Home is where the heart is.  :)

The Brain

Home is where the hearth is. Learn to spell.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Yeah, agree with Neil. It does sound rather cool and then in the back of most peoples head there will be a vague familiarity with it (via WW2) that they can't quite place.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

I suspect that you see 'Trondheim' more often than anyone writes it.  :P

It certainly doesn't come up "constantly" in sci-fi and fantasy, though your heightened sensitivity to the name may make it seem like that to you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
I suspect that you see 'Trondheim' more often than anyone writes it.  :P

It certainly doesn't come up "constantly" in sci-fi and fantasy, though your heightened sensitivity to the name may make it seem like that to you.

It comes up far more often than the importance warrants, I'd say.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on September 02, 2011, 07:05:03 PM
The has a very exotic, Nordic sounding name.  Also, it is rather well known, but only through the lens of the Northern War and Battle of the Atlantic in WWII, which makes it even more dramatic.

BTW, Trondheim does have a special place in Neil's heart though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Gneisenau

this is down the road a bit from here... The Gneisenau "Caesar" Turret.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

A nice chunk of battlecruiser, and the last major piece of battlecruiser remaining.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Slargos on September 05, 2011, 01:56:29 PM
It comes up far more often than the importance warrants, I'd say.
Probably so.  It is a pleasant-sounding name and, as others have noted, has that dash of the exotic.  None of that has to do with the place of the same name, but that is a nice town nonetheless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2011, 02:51:44 PM
A nice chunk of battlecruiser, and the last major piece of battlecruiser remaining.

We also have a sub bunkers downtown, plus a few Tirpitz hiding places along the fjord.

Along with a functional optical AAA rangefinder from WWII.