Texas continues to suffer worst summer on record

Started by Valmy, September 02, 2011, 08:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

God is smitting us for re-electing Rick Perry:

Texas summer may be warmest in U.S. history
It's in a race with Oklahoma. One thing for sure — both states blew away the previous record.

By Eric Berger / [email protected]
Published 01:19 a.m., Friday, September 2, 2011

Texas and Oklahoma have just endured the warmest summers on record for any state, climate officials say.

Preliminary estimates for both Texas and Oklahoma suggest they have blown away the warmest summer temperature ever recorded, 85.2 degrees, by Oklahoma in 1934.

According to state climatologists, Texas' statewide average temperature for June through August is expected to be about 86.7 degrees, and Oklahoma's summer temperature should be about 86.8 degrees.

Official values will come from the National Climatic Data Center next week.

"It is very likely the 'official' values will differ from these by perhaps 0.1 to 0.3 degrees," said Victor Murphy, climate service program manager for Southern Region Headquarters of the National Weather Service.

"However, at the end of the day, the screaming message remains that each state will have exceeded a 117-year summertime high temperature record by 1 to 1.5 degrees."

It's just one more on a long string of heat and drought records broken in both states this summer.

Of the largest cities in Texas, only El Paso, Corpus Christi and Brownsville didn't have their warmest summers on record.

Wichita Falls had the distinction of being the warmest city, with an average temperature of 91.9 degrees. That beat a record set in 1980 by more than three degrees.

Along with the heat, Texas is in the worst-ever one-year drought, according to data that go back to 1895.

On Thursday, 81.1 percent of the state was in exceptional drought — the worst stage. More than 95 percent is in extreme or exceptional drought.

Murphy said estimates for August's rainfall average statewide will be about .80 inches, making it among the 10 driest Augusts.

Using that estimate, the state's yearly rainfall total for the first eight months of this year would be 7.54 inches, busting the old record, 10.65 inches, by 30 percent.

If the estimate of .80 inches becomes official, Texas will have the driest recorded 12 months, with 14.9 inches.

The previous 12-month record was in 1955 and 1956, the tail end of the state's worst drought ever.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/weather/article/Texas-summer-may-be-warmest-in-U-S-history-2152207.php#ixzz1Wnjinje5

The hottest summer and the driest year on record.  With no end in sight for a State that was already strugging with its water supplies.  Even the native plants are dying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on September 02, 2011, 08:54:15 AM
Texans need to pray harder for rain.

I have sacrificed nearly 20 chickens to Thunor with no success.

HisMajestyBOB

God sent Tropical Storm Don.
The drought evaporated it. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

The UK's had the "differently worst" summer since 1993:
QuoteUK's summer 'coolest since 1993' says Met Office

This summer has been the UK's coolest since 1993, provisional Met Office figures indicate.

The figures cover 1 June to 29 August. But while this summer has been wetter than 2010, it has not been as wet as 2007, 2008 or 2009.

The temperature during August has been below normal by about one degree Celsius in most parts of the UK.

But the Met Office says it has been "close to normal" over central and eastern counties of England in August.

Other figures released for this month show that the UK has overall received 126% of the normal monthly rainfall.

And figures show there has been 267.7mm of rainfall so far this summer, compared with 243.8mm of rainfall last summer.

With regard to the amount of summer sunshine in August, the UK has been below average generally. The country overall has received just 76% of the August average.

Full stats for August and for summer 2011 should be available from the Met Office on Thursday.

BBC meteorologist Susan Powell said: "If you look at the average figures for the summer you can get a negative impression.

"But there were some some good parts as well - the last week in July saw temperatures of 33 degrees Celsius in the south.

"And as we had a particularly dry spring, it's probably better for the environment that we have not had a dry summer.

"There is some good news for southern parts of England and Wales, as the start of September looks like having slightly above-average temperatures."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14721082

Richard Hakluyt

It was an excellent summer, plenty of rain and not too much sunshine  :cool:

Razgovory

Man, I could go for a cool summer.  It's 90 Degrees out side right now, which isn't to bad but still uncomfortable.  It was around 100 yesterday.  I'm hoping this is the last heat wave of the year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

It's been rather nice up here in Western Washington. I dont think we have hit over 90 in my area this summer. Wonder if that's a sign that winter is giong to be a mother fucker.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Tonitrus

So glad I dodged that "return to San Antonio" bullet.