News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Huge earthquake strikes Alaska

Started by Caliga, September 02, 2011, 06:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 02, 2011, 07:57:53 AM
Any of youse guys heard the theory that the East Coast quake was caused by fracking?
Yep.  Got some play over here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

I've heard the theory it was caused by all the incestuous crackalackin' in Appalachia.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

All the crazy conspiracy theories from our side of the pond seem to get air time in the UK, even if we hear nothing about them here.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 02, 2011, 07:51:39 PM
All the crazy conspiracy theories from our side of the pond seem to get air time in the UK, even if we hear nothing about them here.  :lol:
I think it's because we had some small earthquakes that were caused by fracking - it's been suspended in that area now - so it gave the chance for news channels to say 'Some people have said this could have been caused by fracking, let's see how Blackpool's recovering from it's 1.2 richter earthquake...' 

We don't have a very exciting geology so that sort of thing's quite exciting :sadblush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

My dad first heard it on NPR's Science Friday, which is not exactly a hotbed of conspiracy theories.

If the theory proves true, it will pose an interesting dilemna.  Give up gigantic reserves of relatively clean-burning domestically produced natural gas or risk further quakes in densely populated areas.

Razgovory

I think Virginia can survive a few minor shakes.  Besides, I'd like to see a little more proof that this is the cause.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 02, 2011, 07:53:33 PM
I think it's because we had some small earthquakes that were caused by fracking - it's been suspended in that area now - so it gave the chance for news channels to say 'Some people have said this could have been caused by fracking, let's see how Blackpool's recovering from it's 1.2 richter earthquake...' 

We don't have a very exciting geology so that sort of thing's quite exciting :sadblush:

:blink:

We have some of the earliest document geology and parts are rather interesting:

http://www.jurassiccoast.com/

I think you meant to say it's relatively seismically inactive ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Gives Sheilbh a hard stare  :mad:

The geology of Britain is absolutely amazing, one of the reasons the science arose here is that there were examples of all the major events in a very narrow compass.

Sheilbh

Ok.  So we've interesting geology like we've interesting weather?  Lots of diversity and extraordinary micro-climates, lots to study but nothing big ever happens.
Let's bomb Russia!