News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Digital piano opinions - calling all players

Started by Martinus, September 01, 2011, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

When considering amateur piano playing, is it true that a digital piano is almost as good, sound wise as normal analog pianos?

I am considering getting a piano for my flat (I used to play about 10 years ago and would like to start again) but I checked the prices of analog pianos and they are rather expensive (btw, I am thinking of small type "box" piano, not a grand piano here) and several people I asked claim that digital pianos (which are 5 times cheaper or so) are not that bad.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Forget that, you should install this instead:

It'll give you an excuse to ask other players to take off their shoes. :perv:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Most digital pianos still rely on hammer-action keys that are weighted to feel like those of an acoustic piano, and they have much better sustain/dampen support, so the dynamic is much closer to playing an acoustic piano than it would be with, say, an 88-key workstation keyboard.  As far as sound, the built-in packages on digital pianos tend to have a much different timbre that just puts one in mind of a piano.

Properly emulating an acoustic piano tone takes a rather complex rig- ideally, you need a hammer-action MIDI keyboard, a soundcard that supports ASIO, a good MIDI control program, and a good piano VST instrument plugin (ones that have enough settings and variables to properly mimic an acoustic piano do NOT come cheap).

Basically, if you're looking to just play the piano and don't mind if the sound is a little off, a digital piano's fine.  If you're looking to completely replace an acoustic piano, you're going to need to put some elbow grease into it.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Marti, you're so concerned about appearance you have an interior designer.

I can't imagine you getting a digital piano.  An upgright piano is not THAT expensive, and will look a million times better in your condo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

The digital pianos look like upright pianos (and have a more sleek, modern look).

For example, this digital Yamaha:

Looks much cooler than non-digital Zimmermann:

And costs about half the price.

None is as cool as the uber-modern Petrof

But that one costs about the price of a medium class car.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 01, 2011, 11:36:15 AM
Looks much cooler than non-digital Zimmermann:

Disagree.  The first one looks like a digital piano - the second one does not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

What about an organ? You can sit there and strike dramatic poses and terrify your neighbours at night.  :ph34r: