LED Lights Make Augmented Vision a Reality

Started by jimmy olsen, September 01, 2011, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Frickin' Rad  :menace:

http://www.elementalled.com/leducation/blog/innovative-technology/led-lights-make-augmented-vision-a-reality/

QuoteLED Lights Make Augmented Vision a Reality
Christine | January 14th, 2011

Okay, this is just freaky. We know LED lights are versatile enough to be used for practically anything, but LED contact lenses? Really?! Yes, as it turns out, really. University of Washington researchers have figured out how to implant semitransparent red and blue LED lights in contact lenses, for the purpose of receiving and displaying data in sharp visual images and video. This means wearers will literally be able to watch TV or view photos that are projected directly onto their eyeballs.

Once miniature green LEDs are developed (and they're in the works, as of now), full color displays will be possible. Once that happens, the possibilities are endless. Think about everything your smart phone can do right now, and imagine the same being possible for your eyeball. This news is a little scary and a lot fascinating, if you ask me—at the very least, with LED contact lenses, your hands would be free to pet your robot or tinker with your hover board.

Lead researcher Babak Parvis comments "You won't necessarily have to shift your focus to see the image generated by the contact lens," it would just appear in front of you and your view of the real world will be completely unobstructed when the display is turned off.

Ah, the real world. With augmented reality becoming a reality, it feels like the real world is fast becoming a relic of the past.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 01, 2011, 09:08:56 AM
Can they cure a cold?

Who needs cures for diseases when one can play Second Life while walking about the real world?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

cripple boy fantasizing about cybernetic enhancements again?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2011, 10:41:38 AM

very low

I would love something like this, assuming of course that overheating and such would be solved.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2011, 10:50:40 AM
very low

I would love something like this, assuming of course that overheating and such would be solved.

It sounds like they're only talking about the displays, which, given an LED array, wouldn't be very hot at all; given the size of the display and assuming a similar level of miniaturization, I'd assume the processing unit would be in a sweatband-like bracelet or a belt, where heat dispersion would be much easier.

Where I'd be concerned is transmission to and from the source- you'd either need a cable running to your eye (blech, dangerous) or an equally-miniaturized wireless transmitter, and I'd be hesitant to place a transmitter that close to your eyeball.  Of course, if they're done as implants, the whole damn thing could be done subcutaneously, but running that length of wire would be a long and expensive operation.
Experience bij!

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2011, 10:41:38 AM

He never asked for this.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 01, 2011, 07:56:24 AM
Frickin' Rad  :menace:

http://www.elementalled.com/leducation/blog/innovative-technology/led-lights-make-augmented-vision-a-reality/

QuoteLED Lights Make Augmented Vision a Reality
Christine | January 14th, 2011

Okay, this is just freaky. We know LED lights are versatile enough to be used for practically anything, but LED contact lenses? Really?! Yes, as it turns out, really. University of Washington researchers have figured out how to implant semitransparent red and blue LED lights in contact lenses, for the purpose of receiving and displaying data in sharp visual images and video. This means wearers will literally be able to watch TV or view photos that are projected directly onto their eyeballs.

Once miniature green LEDs are developed (and they're in the works, as of now), full color displays will be possible. Once that happens, the possibilities are endless. Think about everything your smart phone can do right now, and imagine the same being possible for your eyeball. This news is a little scary and a lot fascinating, if you ask me—at the very least, with LED contact lenses, your hands would be free to pet your robot or tinker with your hover board.

Lead researcher Babak Parvis comments "You won't necessarily have to shift your focus to see the image generated by the contact lens," it would just appear in front of you and your view of the real world will be completely unobstructed when the display is turned off.

Ah, the real world. With augmented reality becoming a reality, it feels like the real world is fast becoming a relic of the past.
kinda cool :)
Like these headset used by the Dominion on their ships  :nerd:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on September 01, 2011, 07:25:51 PM
kinda cool :)
Like these headset used by the Dominion on their ships  :nerd:

Actually, eyepiece displays are doable, and have been for some time.

http://www.militarywarfighter.com/MVO_HMD_AA_DL_p/mvo-hmd-aa-dl.htm
Experience bij!

viper37

these ones require glasses.  We're talking about beaming directly to the eyeball here.  It's a little bit different, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

I can think of a few military uses for this technology.
From targeting to a friggin Blue Force Tracker right on your eyes.
How big would be the computer transmitting the info to this display?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

LaCroix

timmy, were you actually crippled from the cancer, or is that just a languish insult?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on September 01, 2011, 10:19:46 PM
timmy, were you actually crippled from the cancer, or is that just a languish insult?
4 inches of my tibia was removed and replaced with bone from a cadaver. It's held in place by metal plates and 17 screws. Of course the dead bone has long since fused with the living, but the plates haven't been removed since it's too invasive just to do it for that.  I can walk fine for miles, and swim the same. Can't really run, and jumping is out of the question. In everyday life no one ever notices unless I wear shorts, as you expect I got a pretty big scar.

1 Karma Chameleon point