Man Finds $150,000 In His Garden

Started by jimmy olsen, August 31, 2011, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Why doesn't this ever happen to me?  :hmm:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/man-finds-150-000-garden-225554517.html

QuoteMan finds $150,000 in garden

By Claudine Zap

As the old saw goes, money doesn't grow on trees. But sometimes it sprouts up in the garden. An unemployed man in northern Illinois was out working in his backyard when he came across some serious green: bags filled with $150,000 cash.

Wayne Sabaj was headed to pick some broccoli to go with his roast. The carpenter spotted duffel bags that looked like trash by the peppers -- but they turned out to be a cash crop: stacks of $20 bills that added up to about $150,000. The 49-year-old, who is living with his dad, did not exactly jump for joy.

The out-of-work carpenter told ABC7, "I could really use this money." But with this money comes trouble. He explained, "With my luck, it would be bank robbery and I'd get caught and say I'd robbed a bank."

So the honest man with money troubles alerted the police to his amazing backyard treasure.

For now, police haven't a clue to where the cash came from: There are no reported burglaries in the area, and no banks have been robbed.

Then there was the concern that whoever left the money behind would be back, and that's a problem the Sabaj men would rather have solved by the police.

If nobody comes forward to legitimately claim the cash, there may be a happy ending for the man tending his garden: Police will help figure out if Sabaj can keep the money. The carpenter has retained an attorney just in case.

For now, the cash is in custody with the country sheriff, who left behind a card on the lawn where Sabaj found the bags, bearing the simple message, Please call.
\
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

You don't have a garden?  I found twenty bucks in a parking lot last month.  I seriously considered turning it in to the clerks at the Grocery store in case someone came looking for it.  I then realized that was stupid for a whole host of reasons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

For the euros--

Garden = a patch of ground in which one grows vegetables
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Awesome.
Though my dad bought his first car in a somewhat similar way. Found a sports bag full of money in a phone box.

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 01, 2011, 01:03:38 AM
For the euros--

Garden = a patch of ground in which one grows vegetables

An allotment then.
So whats a British English garden called over there?
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

A back yard.

Or front yard if it's in the front.

It's where you mow the lawn and trim the hedges and stuff. What you call gardening we call yard work. What we call gardening you call..I dunno, home farming?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Many English houses have back yards, it is the standard in the northern part of the country, but by this we mean a paved and walled area.

Josquius

Yeah, yards typically are actually about a yard in size and are just....concretey and yardy.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 01, 2011, 02:37:38 AM
Many English houses have back yards, it is the standard in the northern part of the country, but by this we mean a paved and walled area.

And we would call that a patio.

We could go on all day!  :yeah:

Richard Hakluyt

No, no.......a patio is a paved area that is then backed on to by a lawn or other vegetation  :D