Vancouver now not #1

Started by crazy canuck, August 31, 2011, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

My God those are some crap cities.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The Economist seems to equate mind-numbing boredom with livability
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 01, 2011, 09:41:26 AM
The Economist seems to equate mind-numbing boredom with livability

Can't be. There's not a single Swiss city in their Top 10. :swiss:

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habsburg on August 31, 2011, 10:41:41 PM
I'm rather unimpressed with their list.

I would put Seattle above both Calgary and Toronto - probably even above Vancouver.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2011, 08:48:25 AM
Toronto and Perth?  :huh: What sets those two apart from the others in your mind?

Perth is good if you hate other cities and demand to be so far away from them, you can pretend you are a living in an earthling colony on a far away planet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on September 01, 2011, 08:45:55 AM
The hilarious part, of course, is that Vancouver got downgraded for something that happened on the island.  :lol:

Anyway, the true weakness of this list is that it does not appear to take into account housing costs. Most people can't afford to live in these livable cities ...

5.5 million live in the Greater Toronto Area. that's a huge chunk of people. Now, they don't all live in your neighbourhood, granted... ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Anyway, the true weakness of this list is that it does not appear to take into account housing costs. Most people can't afford to live in these livable cities ...
Again, not an issue for employees receiving a hardship allowance.  Generally accommodation costs will be taken care of by the company.
Let's bomb Russia!

BuddhaRhubarb

never really was #1 anything. People here often call Vancouver No-Fun City... so I always blanched at that "Most livable city" crap. It's not unlivable for most, but no moreso than anywhere else I've lived.
:p

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2011, 08:48:25 AM
Toronto and Perth?  :huh: What sets those two apart from the others in your mind?
Toronto is unbearable hot in the summer, and unbearably cold in the winter.  Perth is a desert.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2011, 10:02:17 AM
Quote from: Habsburg on August 31, 2011, 10:41:41 PM
I'm rather unimpressed with their list.

I would put Seattle above both Calgary and Toronto - probably even above Vancouver.

Thanks, Seattle an Vancouver are pretty much on par IMHO.

Stockholm >>> Helsinki (and I like Helsinki)
Munich or Berlin >>> Wien

Calgary?!?  :wacko:

I guess they didn't take culture and the arts into account.  Or with Australia, the cost of visiting elsewhere (and culture and the arts.)

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on September 01, 2011, 04:02:56 PM
I guess they didn't take culture and the arts into account.  Or with Australia, the cost of visiting elsewhere (and culture and the arts.)
I think they gave culture and the arts exactly what they are due.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 01, 2011, 04:26:40 PM
Quote from: Habsburg on September 01, 2011, 04:02:56 PM
I think they gave culture and the arts exactly what they are due.

That is one of many explanations why Edmonton will never appear on the list.

Monoriu

Vancouver at least has cheap housing as far as I am concerned.

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2011, 09:00:24 AM

Do you have a decent job in Hong Kong?  Here civil service employees are treated little better then the chairs they sit in.

Decent job = long-term + office job