News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dues for extracting gold

Started by Alexandru H., August 31, 2011, 04:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

I need an answer. How much in dues does your state get from a private company that extracts gold and other precious metals? Links to other resources would be most helpful.

Thanks!

CountDeMoney

I dunno, been a long time since we had some 'Niners around here panning for gold in them thar hills.

Zanza

As far as I can tell, they would have to pay the same taxes that all other companies have to pay too, so either corporate taxes or personal income taxes depending on the legal form of the company. 

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on August 31, 2011, 05:57:56 AM
As far as I can tell, they would have to pay the same taxes that all other companies have to pay too, so either corporate taxes or personal income taxes depending on the legal form of the company.

Nope. Most countries award concessions/licenses for mining and I don't see why gold mining would be different. These are often subject to special fees etc.

Of course the OP's question is idiotic - it's like asking "what tax does one pay on one's income" without indicating a jurisdiction.

Tamas

God damn ROMAnians stealing our gold  :glare:

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 31, 2011, 06:08:55 AMNope. Most countries award concessions/licenses for mining and I don't see why gold mining would be different. These are often subject to special fees etc.
You are right. A quick look into our federal mining law suggests that it is 10% of the average market value during the fiscal year. Income/corporate taxes would probably be on top of that.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Martinus on August 31, 2011, 06:08:55 AM

Nope. Most countries award concessions/licenses for mining and I don't see why gold mining would be different. These are often subject to special fees etc.

Of course the OP's question is idiotic - it's like asking "what tax does one pay on one's income" without indicating a jurisdiction.

I'm not talking about income tax but about the special taxes (called dues in the English Language) that the state expects from the private company for exploiting a natural resource in its backyard. For example, here the state takes 4%, on top of all the other normal taxes. My inquiry was about percentages in different countries, subjected usually to the letter of a national Mining Law. Now, idiotic or not, it isn't such a difficult question to understand and even answer to.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Lots of countries charge special levies on natural resources extraction.  I know the UK does on North Sea oil, Alaska does on oil and the mining tax has been a big issue in Australian politics for a while.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

2.5% for placer gold in Yukon.

http://www.emr.gov.yk.ca/mining/placermining.html

No gold mining in Alberta that I'm aware of.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alexandru H.

If anyone is interested in the matter, I found a document about the several fiscal rules in different countries concerning mining. http://www.pwc.com/en_GX/gx/mining/pdf/global-mining-tax-comparison-Dec2010.pdf

ulmont

Quote from: Alexandru H. on August 31, 2011, 07:19:09 AM
I'm not talking about income tax but about the special taxes (called dues in the English Language) that the state expects from the private company for exploiting a natural resource in its backyard.

We call those "severance taxes" in the United States.  As usual, they vary from state to state (and often aren't even imposed in states without a large mining industry), but from what I can see they tend to range from 2-10% of net value.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2011, 05:46:45 AM
I dunno, been a long time since we had some 'Niners around here panning for gold in them thar hills.

My first thought was that he was pulling it out of peoples teeth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Alexandru H. on August 31, 2011, 07:19:09 AM
I'm not talking about income tax but about the special taxes (called dues in the English Language) ...
Now, idiotic or not, it isn't such a difficult question to understand and even answer to.

Those taxes are not called "dues" in American English, so your question remains difficult to understand.

Quote from: Alexandru H. on August 31, 2011, 07:40:57 AM
If anyone is interested in the matter, I found a document about the several fiscal rules in different countries concerning mining. http://www.pwc.com/en_GX/gx/mining/pdf/global-mining-tax-comparison-Dec2010.pdf

The word "dues" doesn't appear in your document.

Some countries have royalty fees and some have special tax regimes for mining, but none, as far as I know, have "dues."

The US has no royalties on gold mining at the present.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Dues are a special tax on club members, not payable to the government.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?