How should I vote in Polish parliamentary elections?

Started by Martinus, August 30, 2011, 02:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should I vote in Polish parliamentary elections?

Civic Platform (PO)
14 (48.3%)
Alliance of Democratic Left (SLD)
6 (20.7%)
The Movement (Ruch Poparcia)
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Martinus

So, this is a serious question.

Polish parliamentary elections are coming up in about 50 days. The ruling Civic Platform party is likely to stay in power. I voted for them during the last elections, to keep PiS out of power but I (along with a bunch of more liberal voters) am getting disenchanted with their social conservatism etc. So here are my pros and cons for the three parties I am considering:

Civic Platform (PO)
Current ruling party, moderate conservatives, similar to tories in 1990s when it comes to the views they hold. The leader is quite likeable.
Pros: Pro-West, pro-EU, pro-modernisation. They follow polls on social issues and have a liberal wing (they are the most big tent party in Poland) and have been grumbling recently about supporting stuff like gay marriage etc. They will also not fuck up the economy and have been doing pretty good job of keeping it good. Also, not going to fuck with my money/taxes.
Cons: Still have some nasty anti-gay, pro-catholic conservatives on their conservative wing.

Alliance of Democratic Left (SLD)
Former commies.
Pros: More pro-gay-rights than PO. If they get a good result, they may form a coalition with PO, which will allow them to influence the policies of PO on social issues and anti-church measures. The only party that is running an openly gay politician in Warsaw, so I have someone to vote for.
Cons: Their leader is a complete apparatchik douchebag. Their devotion to gay rights and whatnot seems to come up during elections but then goes down and is ignored by them. They still have some homophobic backbenchers (by comparison, PO kicked out a MP who made a homophobic comment recently, SLD didn't). They know jack shit about economy.

The Progress Movement (Ruch Poparcia)
Splinter group from PO, led by a charismatic eccentric millionaire who thought PO is too chummy with the catholic church.
Pros: Best when it comes to fitting my views - they are pro-gay, anti-church, pro-free market economy, pro low taxes.
Cons: Probably have no chance of passing the 5% national threshold so the vote will be lost most likely.

Valmy

Given the information provided I think going with the PO is the wisest course of action.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Barrister

If you vote for the former commies I will come to Poland and kick you in the nuts.  :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2011, 02:51:49 PM
If you vote for the former commies I will come to Poland and kick you in the nuts.  :mad:

I was dead set on voting for them until a month or so ago (as I said they have a lot of new members, who are up my alley, ideologically). But recently the leader has been kicking out idealists and activists from good electable places (a gay rights activist and a pro-choice activist, both very well known in Poland, resigned from running as a result) and stuffing them with good ol' commies and his buddies, which is why I consider switching my vote.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 02:53:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2011, 02:51:49 PM

I was dead set on voting for them until a month or so ago (as I said they have a lot of new members, who are up my alley, ideologically). But recently the leader has been kicking out idealists and activists from good electable places (a gay rights activist and a pro-choice activist, both very well known in Poland, resigned from running as a result) and stuffing them with good ol' commies and his buddies, which is why I consider switching my vote.

I don't care what your reasons are.  Just know what wil happen.

You can vote for any other party you want to.  Just not that one.  Or face the wrath of my size nine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

PO. 

Don't even consider voting for a party led by a cravat-wearer.  There's pro-gay and then there's just silly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habsburg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 30, 2011, 02:59:52 PM
PO. 

Don't even consider voting for a party led by a cravat-wearer.  There's pro-gay and then there's just silly.

:lol:

This.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I voted for the guy who kinda looks like Tom Baker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 02:41:06 PM
So, this is a serious question.

The Polish lawyer is asking non Poles who to vote for.  Serious question or another look at me thread?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: The Brain on August 30, 2011, 03:06:48 PM
I get the feeling Mart will vote with his feet.
That's a little on the nose, even for you.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)