News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Bird Flu Strain On The Loose!

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2011, 07:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

DOOM! :o

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/30/us-birdflu-asia-mutant-idUSTRE77T1VM20110830
QuoteBird flu deaths in Asia prompt call for scrutiny

By Tan Ee Lyn

HONG KONG | Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54am EDT

(Reuters) - Virologists warned on Tuesday that there was no vaccine against a mutant strain of H5N1 bird flu now spreading in China and Vietnam and called for closer monitoring of the disease in poultry and wild birds to stop it spreading to people.

The call came after the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) warned on Monday of a possible resurgence of bird flu and said a mutant strain of the H5N1 was spreading in Asia and beyond.

While scientists are uncertain if this new strain -- called H5N1-2.3.2.1 -- is more virulent in people, they said it was different enough from its predecessor to escape a human H5N1 vaccine that can tackle the parent strain.

"There is a human H5N1 vaccine candidate that is a (WHO)recommended vaccine ... But it doesn't confer full protection against the (new variant)," said leading virologist Malik Peiris at the University of Hong Kong.

"But that is not unusual. H5 viruses keep changing and we have to change the vaccine strain."

The World Health Organization meets twice a year, in February and September, when experts discuss and decide on the makeup of candidate influenza vaccines.

H5N1 kills up to 60 percent of the people it infects. It has resurfaced in recent months, most notably in Cambodia where it has infected eight people this year, killing all of them.

"H5N1 cases in Cambodia always have high mortality because they are detected late," Peiris told Reuters in an interview.

"It doesn't necessarily indicate that this particular virus strain is more virulent to humans. But it is a threat because it has become more widespread globally."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Kill the mutant. The alien. The heretic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Eddie Teach

:lol:

The creepy granny expression that little girl is wearing makes the pic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: The Brain on August 30, 2011, 07:15:42 AM
Purify the world with the cleansing fire of the Emperor.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

ulmont

Quote from: Scipio on August 30, 2011, 07:39:03 AM
Purify the world with the cleansing fire of the Emperor.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

jimmy olsen

Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

So a mutation of flu strain renders current H5N1 avian flu vaccines useless? Cry me a river. Flu mutates, people still die from the flu, and vaccines need to be updated, even here in the West. That's what flu is all about : changed flu strain appearing, keeping tabs to monitor the eventuality of a pandemic, and a few months of research to create an updated vaccine.

How about these population stop living around free poultry littering their shit around their house for a change? Prevention trumps all.

Bluebook

...this new strain -- called H5N1-2.3.2.1

Is this a joke?

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Bluebook on August 30, 2011, 02:17:55 PM
...this new strain -- called H5N1-2.3.2.1

Is this a joke?

The worst thing is that it's an 8Gb download, going to take all day with my crappy internet  :(

Darth Wagtaros

An empty mind is easily filled with faith.

PDH!

Josephus

We should kill all poultry and Asians just to be safe.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011