"Fundamentally, though, humankind is pretty crap." Discuss.

Started by mongers, August 29, 2011, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2011, 12:11:39 AM
That's the kind of profound insight I'd expect from a slightly inebriated first year university student.

I am not sure first year students are as self absorbed as this.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 04:23:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 11:26:03 PM
Humanity is pretty crap compared to what exactly?

Bonobos know how to live.

Dammit, we should cover you in a full body wig and throw you in a cage at the zoo already.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 30, 2011, 01:46:20 PM
Draks was a great post.

Oh, bullshit.
We have survived by repressing that instinct;  in fact, we've thrived by surpressing it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2011, 06:11:54 PM
Oh, bullshit.
We have survived by repressing that instinct;  in fact, we've thrived by surpressing it.

:huh:

We've channeled that instinct, not repressed it. Instead of clubbing people on the head, we think up weapons that can kill millions in one shot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 30, 2011, 01:46:20 PM
Draks was a great post.

Oh, bullshit.

Besides Drakken is more than just a great post.  He is a member of a species that sits atop the evolutionary ladder looking down on the rest that didnt quite make it to the top - yet.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2011, 06:17:48 PM
Oh, bullshit.

We've channeled that instinct, not repressed it. Instead of clubbing people on the head, we think up weapons that can kill millions in one shot.

We have repressed it.  Just think of how many of Marti's posts you have read then consider the fact he is still here to continue posting

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 07:54:43 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 07:43:49 AM
That doesn't negate my statement.  Besides, aren't all animals in the genus Pan chimps?

The point is, we should live like bonobos.

Why?  I don't want to live in a Matriarchy, have sex with chimps, fence with my dick, or get eaten by Africans.

Okay, we should live like Bonobos, but keep our guns and colonialism.  The hirsute man's burden.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2011, 06:17:48 PM
Oh, bullshit.

:huh: Do you know what the word "instinct" even means?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
Still don't know why you say that.

Because sex is more fun and generally more constructive than violence, unless aircraft are involved.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 07:27:18 PM

Because sex is more fun and generally more constructive than violence, unless aircraft are involved.

Wait, aircraft involved in violence, or involved in sex?

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 30, 2011, 07:46:06 PM

Wait, aircraft involved in violence, or involved in sex?

I think he's saying he'd rather be in a fight than join the mile-high club.  Must think the bathrooms are too small.

Josquius

All the killing and other nastyness is just life. Humans as animals, are prone to it just like 99% of other animals out there.
Humans however are quite unique in overcoming our base instincts.
Sure, we`re bloody good at killing when we do do it, which of course leads to all the crap about humans being particularly evil, but we`re pretty unique in controlling our selfishness and need to kill and whatnot. You don`t see wolf packs signing peace treaties with each other, its an eternal battle there.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Bonobos engage in violence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017