"Fundamentally, though, humankind is pretty crap." Discuss.

Started by mongers, August 29, 2011, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2011, 06:40:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 03:04:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2011, 02:27:07 AM
Humans though are amongst the nicest animals out there.
TheBrain will disagree.

Where did these rumors come from anyway?  :hmm:

Do you really want to know or are you just making conversation?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 05:05:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 04:23:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 11:26:03 PM
Humanity is pretty crap compared to what exactly?

Bonobos know how to live.

The fuck everything that moves, yes.

Yes, but chimps are really ugly.  I don't want to have sex with chimps.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 07:16:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 05:05:36 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 04:23:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 11:26:03 PM
Humanity is pretty crap compared to what exactly?

Bonobos know how to live.

The fuck everything that moves, yes.

Yes, but chimps are really ugly.  I don't want to have sex with chimps.

Bonobos (pan paniscus) aren't chimps (pan troglodytes).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

That doesn't negate my statement.  Besides, aren't all animals in the genus Pan chimps?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 07:43:49 AM
That doesn't negate my statement.  Besides, aren't all animals in the genus Pan chimps?

The point is, we should live like bonobos.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 30, 2011, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 07:43:49 AM

The point is, we should live like bonobos.

Why?  I don't want to live in a Matriarchy, have sex with chimps, fence with my dick, or get eaten by Africans.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 12:13:28 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2011, 12:11:39 AM
That's the kind of profound insight I'd expect from a slightly inebriated first year university student.

I'm not drunk.

Not you, the article.

Valmy

Um yes humans do horrible things but tons of people also do good and noble things.  I guess if you focus on one you can come to either conclusion.

I mean few of the Rwandans who resisted the genocide are around to talk about it, after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I agree that sometimes humans do in fact do horrible things, like writing the piece quoted in the OP.

MadImmortalMan

Fundamentally, humankind is pretty fucking awesome.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I don't think people are very qualified to judge in this matter, we have a personal bias.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Ducks, wolves, and elephants do pretty horrible things as well. Even cats sometimes eat their own babies.

Humans are the only species with the cerebral capacity and the galls to create this abstract worldview that they should hold themselves to a better standard than other animal species, rather than accept that we have aggressive behaviors driven by instinct. We wouldn't survive without that instinct.

The Brain