News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do You Have A Plan B, If All Else Fails ?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2011, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2011, 02:15:33 AM
Career-wise plan A is working out surprisingly well, especially considering that the whole plan was like half a sentence long.
Are you still with the same company? So far, I never had much to do with them, but in my next job, they are the main supplier.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:47:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:18:08 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
Maybe a bit off-kilter, but I really have had suicide ready as Plan B for at least 5 years.  Or even as Plan A at certain moments.  But what other card do you need with that in your deck?

:console:

QuoteBe heading back to the states in October, I'm waiting on my next FBI check. Once I get that I'm going to apply for jobs in Japan, Taiwan and Dubai. Vietnam does sound enticing.

Vietnam was awesome, especially Saigon/HCMC. Lots of creepy westerners, as you would expect in SE Asia, but lots of cool people too. It's supposed to be really easy to get TEFL jobs there, since it's not one of the big teaching destinations. Everything is dirt-cheap, too. The biggest problems would be the weather and the air pollution. Oh, and insane motorbikes everywhere.
From what I remember jobs seemed to range from $1000-1400 a month, but if the average person makes $100 a month you can probably live pretty well just spending 2-300 a month and saving the rest.

Also, the salaries in Arabia are insane. The ones in Saudi pay $40k per year, the ones in Dubai range from $3,500-8,000 per month!

But you have to live in Saudi Arabia or UAE  :yuk:
I for one prefer to enjoy alcohol and women on my days off.
Dubai wouldn't be that bad I don't think.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on August 29, 2011, 02:57:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 29, 2011, 02:15:33 AM
Career-wise plan A is working out surprisingly well, especially considering that the whole plan was like half a sentence long.
Are you still with the same company? So far, I never had much to do with them, but in my next job, they are the main supplier.

yep, I am, crawling my way up slowly. :)

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:47:43 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:18:08 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
Maybe a bit off-kilter, but I really have had suicide ready as Plan B for at least 5 years.  Or even as Plan A at certain moments.  But what other card do you need with that in your deck?

:console:

QuoteBe heading back to the states in October, I'm waiting on my next FBI check. Once I get that I'm going to apply for jobs in Japan, Taiwan and Dubai. Vietnam does sound enticing.

Vietnam was awesome, especially Saigon/HCMC. Lots of creepy westerners, as you would expect in SE Asia, but lots of cool people too. It's supposed to be really easy to get TEFL jobs there, since it's not one of the big teaching destinations. Everything is dirt-cheap, too. The biggest problems would be the weather and the air pollution. Oh, and insane motorbikes everywhere.
From what I remember jobs seemed to range from $1000-1400 a month, but if the average person makes $100 a month you can probably live pretty well just spending 2-300 a month and saving the rest.

Also, the salaries in Arabia are insane. The ones in Saudi pay $40k per year, the ones in Dubai range from $3,500-8,000 per month!

But you have to live in Saudi Arabia or UAE  :yuk:
I for one prefer to enjoy alcohol and women on my days off.

Creepy Westerner.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

Saudi for $40k a year is definitely not worth it. Now the Dubai option might be  :hmm:

Amongst other things it is a big airline hub, fairly cheap flights to Europe if you had a break.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 29, 2011, 03:44:22 AM
Saudi for $40k a year is definitely not worth it. Now the Dubai option might be  :hmm:

Amongst other things it is a big airline hub, fairly cheap flights to Europe if you had a break.
Yeah, even though I'd save at least $20k I wouldn't do it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 10:50:52 PM
There are so many countries in the world that need English teachers,

Then why would you be involved?  You can't spell yourself out of a paper bag.

Norgy

I'd like to think my plan B would involve playing Skyrim come November and get a lot of fresh tail.

But no, not really. Been doing the whole overly self-involved recovering addict for so long that, heck, I haven't had the time or energy to make a Plan B.
Maybe it'd be a good idea to get a Plan B...

Zanza

$8,000 for teaching English? As you don't pay taxes in Dubai, isn't that like $12-15k in a normal country? I am sceptical.

Martinus

I don't know what kind of money/deal they would have to offer me to consider relocating to Dubai, even for a year or so. I'm thinking 100-200% raise at least and a fast partnership track.

My Plan B is something I consider in case a general or a personal "catastrophe" happens (a general catastrophe being something like a really global crisis resulting in total economy collapse or serious illness. In that case I plan to liquidate some of my assets and move back with my parents OR go on a world tour (depending if it's the world or I that is going to a shitter).

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 29, 2011, 03:44:22 AM

I would barely consider Dubai for $400k a year.

Martinus

Also, as someone who was an expat for 6 months, living in Brussels, I gotta say it sucks immensely companionship-wise (I am not just talking about hooking up for sex, but just being able to spend time with friends etc.)

And that was Brussels, which was close to Paris and London, and still within the Western world. I can't imagine how soul-destroyingly bleak and boring it would have to be to live in Dubai, not to mention Saudi Arabia.

Caliga

Also, wouldn't you have to stay deep in the closet in Dubai or else risk being killed? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2011, 06:24:11 AM
Also, wouldn't you have to stay deep in the closet in Dubai or else risk being killed? :hmm:

Yeah well there's that too.  :D

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?