News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do You Have A Plan B, If All Else Fails ?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2011, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

There are so many countries in the world that need English teachers, my plans B,C, etc is simply a list of countries, each a little less desirable than the last.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Sort of. It's vaguely going to the States and plying my skills as a charlatan.

Seriously.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2011, 11:00:10 PM
Sort of. It's vaguely going to the States and plying my skills as a charlatan.

Seriously.
Real Estate Investment Banking?

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 10:50:52 PM
There are so many countries in the world that need English teachers, my plans B,C, etc is simply a list of countries, each a little less desirable than the last.

That's my plan now too :(
Gonna be fun trying to save for retirement on ~$20,000/year and no 401k, etc.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 28, 2011, 11:03:49 PM

Bhutan or bust baby! $600 a month!

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2011, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 28, 2011, 11:03:49 PM

Bhutan or bust baby! $600 a month!

I'm on track to go to China in October. I'll make about the same as I did in Korea, maybe slightly more, but have to pay my own rent (which, granted, will be much lower, even in Shanghai).

I would like to go to Vietnam and Mongolia if I did the permanent TEFL teacher route. Winter in Ulaanbaatar would certainly be an experience.

jimmy olsen

Be heading back to the states in October, I'm waiting on my next FBI check. Once I get that I'm going to apply for jobs in Japan, Taiwan and Dubai. Vietnam does sound enticing.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Maybe a bit off-kilter, but I really have had suicide ready as Plan B for at least 5 years.  Or even as Plan A at certain moments.  But what other card do you need with that in your deck?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tamas

Career-wise plan A is working out surprisingly well, especially considering that the whole plan was like half a sentence long.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
Maybe a bit off-kilter, but I really have had suicide ready as Plan B for at least 5 years.  Or even as Plan A at certain moments.  But what other card do you need with that in your deck?

:console:

QuoteBe heading back to the states in October, I'm waiting on my next FBI check. Once I get that I'm going to apply for jobs in Japan, Taiwan and Dubai. Vietnam does sound enticing.

Vietnam was awesome, especially Saigon/HCMC. Lots of creepy westerners, as you would expect in SE Asia, but lots of cool people too. It's supposed to be really easy to get TEFL jobs there, since it's not one of the big teaching destinations. Everything is dirt-cheap, too. The biggest problems would be the weather and the air pollution. Oh, and insane motorbikes everywhere.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:18:08 AM

QuoteBe heading back to the states in October, I'm waiting on my next FBI check. Once I get that I'm going to apply for jobs in Japan, Taiwan and Dubai. Vietnam does sound enticing.

Vietnam was awesome, especially Saigon/HCMC. Lots of creepy westerners, as you would expect in SE Asia, but lots of cool people too. It's supposed to be really easy to get TEFL jobs there, since it's not one of the big teaching destinations. Everything is dirt-cheap, too. The biggest problems would be the weather and the air pollution. Oh, and insane motorbikes everywhere.
From what I remember jobs seemed to range from $1000-1400 a month, but if the average person makes $100 a month you can probably live pretty well just spending 2-300 a month and saving the rest.

Also, the salaries in Arabia are insane. The ones in Saudi pay $40k per year, the ones in Dubai range from $3,500-8,000 per month!

1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2011, 02:23:24 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 02:18:08 AM

From what I remember jobs seemed to range from $1000-1400 a month, but if the average person makes $100 a month you can probably live pretty well just spending 2-300 a month and saving the rest.

Also, the salaries in Arabia are insane. The ones in Saudi pay $40k per year, the ones in Dubai range from $3,500-8,000 per month!

But you have to live in Saudi Arabia or UAE  :yuk:
I for one prefer to enjoy alcohol and women on my days off.