News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How remote is our world?

Started by Grey Fox, April 22, 2009, 07:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 08:35:32 PM
Cool map, looks like the world is covered in molten rock.
Except not at all.  The lava is in the wrong places.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2009, 09:17:55 PM
Except not at all.  The lava is in the wrong places.
Yeah. If the land colors were inverted it would be a lot closer, since magma would supercool when it came into contact with a large body of cold water and form obsidian outlines.

On-topic: I think it's a little misleading. There's no gradation to show how navigable a waterway is; depending on the navigability of a river, it could introduce extra travel time. The same goes for condition of roads: their existence might shorten travel time, but poorer roads would need to be traveled at a slower rate.
Experience bij!

Alatriste

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2009, 07:40:55 AM
Damn Spain as a lot of Rivers.

Yeah, but that's because Spain has plenty of mountains and hills. The rivers here are difficult, fast flowing and heavily seasonal - adding that to our dry climate means that they aren't navigable

This has always been known, and actually was a major factor affecting campaigns in the Peninsula both in 1702-1714 and 1808-1814. Only the Guadalquivir up to Seville by small ships (up to Cordoba and higher in flat bottom boats) and a short stretch of the Ebro are navigable in Spain; both the Douro and the Tagus are navigable near their mouths, in Portugal, but again only short stretches of them.   

Malthus

Heh, picking out rivers on a map and assuming they are navagable - my dad used to make that error regularly when planning our canoe routes.  :lol:

Many a mile of wading in our underwear through leech and mosquito infested swamps was the usual result ... "builds character" he would say.  :rolleyes:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Alatriste

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 08:03:26 AM
Heh, picking out rivers on a map and assuming they are navagable - my dad used to make that error regularly when planning our canoe routes.  :lol:

Many a mile of wading in our underwear through leech and mosquito infested swamps was the usual result ... "builds character" he would say.  :rolleyes:

Let me guess: he loved Calvin & Hobbes.

Malthus

Quote from: Alatriste on April 24, 2009, 01:26:32 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2009, 08:03:26 AM

Let me guess: he loved Calvin & Hobbes.

:lol:

The worst part is that the mosquitoes didn't bother him at all - it was like he was immune to them. Probably a result of his semi-feral childhood growing up in the woods.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius