US VP Biden blasts 'repugnant' China child policy

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 05:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I always attack all gays, except for Sheilbh, Habsburg and Top Cat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Iormlund on August 24, 2011, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2011, 11:56:03 AM
As an aside, if two single children are married they're entitled to have two kids under the existing policy. Not that that's going to seriously dent the demographic trend.

Aren't most young adults the only children of their own parents by now?

I don't think so. The 1-child policy doesn't seem to be especially strict and there are a number of exceptions, although I don't know them. One of my friends is from Jiangxi and is the oldest of 3 children, for example.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2011, 08:38:54 AM
Very foolish for China to continue the policy - they are on the cusp of a demographic bust and economically they are not yet developed enough to cope.

They have relaxed the policy a lot.  Middle class Chinese can now pay a fine (i.e. buy a licence) to breed more than one kid.  It is the poor rural farmers who can't afford it.  Net result: the poor breed less, the rich breed more. 

As I understand it, one of the main reasons they can't officially end the policy is because this will result in the laying off of hundreds of thousands in the one-child only office. 

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2011, 05:20:25 PM
A demographic collapse would be a good thing in a society that wasn't as sick as ours.

So because our society is sick a demographic collapse is a bad thing? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 08:56:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2011, 05:20:25 PM
A demographic collapse would be a good thing in a society that wasn't as sick as ours.
So because our society is sick a demographic collapse is a bad thing? :hmm:
Our society isn't equipped to handle a right-sizing.  It is designed to pursue growth above all things, which requires a growing population.