US VP Biden blasts 'repugnant' China child policy

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 05:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on August 24, 2011, 10:15:23 AM
they won't once china kills a good chunk of the male population in the war.

Nuclear weapons don't discriminate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2011, 10:53:03 AM

It's a war of booty (word works both ways :P ). non-glow in the dark weapons only
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2011, 08:38:54 AM
Very foolish for China to continue the policy - they are on the cusp of a demographic bust and economically they are not yet developed enough to cope.

Yeah, it would seem the time is about up for that policy.

As an aside, if two single children are married they're entitled to have two kids under the existing policy. Not that that's going to seriously dent the demographic trend.

Maybe that's what Biden's about? They figure China's going to reverse the policy in the not too distant future, so if they start bringing it up now they can claim "look, we pressured China successfully on this" once China actually does something about it.

DGuller

Or maybe he's being evil, and is trying to trick China into keeping that policy, to avoid being seen as giving in to the pressure.  :ph34r:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2011, 10:53:03 AM

Or do they? :shifty:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2011, 11:56:03 AM
As an aside, if two single children are married they're entitled to have two kids under the existing policy. Not that that's going to seriously dent the demographic trend.

Aren't most young adults the only children of their own parents by now?

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2011, 09:44:39 AM
What an idiotic piece of pandering from Biden. Draconic measures aside, it's a pity noone in the Western world dares to tell the poor they are breeding too much.
Um we are having a demographic collapse for having too few children.
A demographic collapse would be a good thing in a society that wasn't as sick as ours.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
I guess Nazis forgot to take eugenics with them when they retreated from Poland.

Poland doesn't practice eugenics.  Martinus was born.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on August 24, 2011, 05:40:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 09:45:53 AM
I guess Nazis forgot to take eugenics with them when they retreated from Poland.

Poland doesn't practice eugenics.  Martinus was born.
:pinch:

Razgovory

I wrote something, but it came off too mean, and might hit unintended targets.  So take this post as me putting down Marty in a clever way.  Dguller can post the laugh-out-loud emoticon in response.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2011, 06:21:25 PM
I wrote something, but it came off too mean, and might hit unintended targets.  So take this post as me putting down Marty in a clever way.  Dguller can post the laugh-out-loud emoticon in response.

Seize the day.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)