News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on August 30, 2011, 11:39:55 AM
Some years ago I was hunting in Wareham, Mass. We were on a river bank not too far from where the river empties into the ocean. It was raining, normal storm, but there was a storm tide that we didn't realize. High tide came but the water kept rising fast. Pretty quickly the entire land area around us was covered in water. We used a canoe to get out of there, and that was tricky enough, being careful to keep to calmer water until we got to higher ground. Parts of the neighborhood nearby was flooded out. My friend's car was ruined due to being immersed in water. Just a mess all around. That was my introduction to how bad a storm tide could be, and this was really not a big storm, else we wouldn't have gone hunting in the first place.

Did FEMA step in and help out?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Arvoreen

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2011, 11:43:09 AM
Some years ago I was hunting in Wareham, Mass. We were on a river bank not too far from where the river empties into the ocean. It was raining, normal storm, but there was a storm tide that we didn't realize. High tide came but the water kept rising fast. Pretty quickly the entire land area around us was covered in water. We used a canoe to get out of there, and that was tricky enough, being careful to keep to calmer water until we got to higher ground. Parts of the neighborhood nearby was flooded out. My friend's car was ruined due to being immersed in water. Just a mess all around. That was my introduction to how bad a storm tide could be, and this was really not a big storm, else we wouldn't have gone hunting in the first place.

Only if they managed to declare it a disaster area :D

HisMajestyBOB

The major killer from hurricanes is storm surge and flooding. Yes, Cat 5s have much bigger of both than Cat 1s, but Cat 1s are no picnic either. Especially since a lot of the northeast already had a lot of rain, and Vermont experienced lots of flooding back in the spring.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

Now people are checking the measurements, and some are saying Irene was never actually a hurricane.

Edit: Wind peaked at 57 knots on Cape Hatteras. How fast does it need to be? 65?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 30, 2011, 12:16:20 PM
Now people are checking the measurements, and some are saying Irene was never actually a hurricane.

Edit: Wind peaked at 57 knots on Cape Hatteras. How fast does it need to be? 65?
No, it doesn't need to be as high as 65 knots.  Just 64 knots would do.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 30, 2011, 12:16:20 PM

The NHC uses very specific criteria for measuring hurricane winds:
QuoteThe Hurricane Center uses a 1 min averaging time for reporting the sustained (i.e. relatively long-lasting) winds. The maximum sustained wind mentioned in the advisories that NHC issues for tropical storms and hurricanes are the highest 1 min surface winds occurring within the circulation of the system. These "surface" winds are those observed (or, more often, estimated) to occur at the standard meteorological height of 10 m (33 ft) in an unobstructed exposure (i.e., not blocked by buildings or trees).
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D4.html

If Fucktard McTeaparty is measuring the winds at ground level, they're going to be much lower due to trees and houses blocking them.

When the hurricane is over the ocean, winds are measured using hurricane hunter aircraft, although I believe they also estimate them using data from satellites. The NHC does review the hurricane season's data at the end of the season and upgrade/downgrade accordingly. For example, a tropical depression in 2005 was upgrade to tropical storm status after the season review: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Azores_subtropical_storm
But that happens after the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Irene was reduced to a TS earlier, but it certainly was a hurricane when it first impacted the coast. It's highly unlikely NHC mistook a TS for a Cat2.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

I am sure the people who lost their house care a lot whether it was a category 1 hurricane or just a very bad tropical storm.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on August 30, 2011, 12:42:31 PM
I am sure the people who lost their house care a lot whether it was a category 1 hurricane or just a very bad tropical storm.
They actually may care for insurance reasons.  If they had a policy with a hurricane deductible, and the trigger for the hurricane deductible was that the storm were at least Cat 1, then they pay a higher deductible if it was in fact a hurricane.

MadImmortalMan

I know the difference between a 4.9 earthquake and a 5.0 made a lot of difference to insurance rates around here.

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2011, 11:43:09 AM

Those basties were nowhere to be found!  :mad:

;)

Rasputin

Quote from: DGuller on August 30, 2011, 01:03:20 PM
They actually may care for insurance reasons.  If they had a policy with a hurricane deductible, and the trigger for the hurricane deductible was that the storm were at least Cat 1, then they pay a higher deductible if it was in fact a hurricane.

actually most property insurance will actually turn on whether it was a "named storm" thereby making it irrelevant whether it was actually a hurricane at landfall
Who is John Galt?

DGuller

Quote from: Rasputin on August 31, 2011, 08:04:02 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 30, 2011, 01:03:20 PM

actually most property insurance will actually turn on whether it was a "named storm" thereby making it irrelevant whether it was actually a hurricane at landfall
Probably, but it depends on the precise language on the policy, and the requirements of insurance regulators.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 30, 2011, 10:49:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 08:57:03 AM

If only Pat Robertson was there.  He drove off a Hurricane before.

Pat makes WONDERFUL pancakes.

He's also a terrific dancer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Rasputin on August 31, 2011, 08:04:02 AM

I actually think you could have thrown in another "actually" or two. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Katia is on her way.  Same starting point, same trajectory, estimated at Cat 3 by Monday.

Figures.  Just like a high-maintenance Russian chick, all full of herself.