News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

41 dead from a category 1?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2011, 03:41:15 AM

Hurricanes don't kill people, fallen lines, house-crushing trees and out-of-commission traffic lights kill people.  You fucking monkey retard fuck.

Caliga

:yes:

Around 10 years ago there was a Tropical Storm (i.e. never reached hurricane force) that was so destructive that they retired its name.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2011, 05:14:40 AM

Hurricanes don't kill people, fallen lines, house-crushing trees and out-of-commission traffic lights kill people.  You fucking monkey retard fuck.
Yeah, but the stronger the hurricane the more fallen lines, house-crushing trees and out-of-commission traffic lights you get. Not to mention a powerful storm surge and stronger winds.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2011, 05:27:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2011, 05:14:40 AM

Yeah, but the stronger the hurricane the more fallen lines, house-crushing trees and out-of-commission traffic lights you get.

Go fucking die already, please?

Caliga

Ok, I looked it up.  Tropical Storm Allison killed 41 people and did $5.5 billion in damage in 2001.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

Back in 1987 the there was a big storm that hit London and SE England. The worst of the storm was in the early hours so only a few people died. It caused a lot of chaos even though the winds only reached a peak of 100mph (gusts of wind, not sustained). However, it was the worst storm in a century to hit that area and brought down millions of trees. If it had hit the Shetlands it would have been just another "what a bloody awful windy day....again!", in the SE it was quite a disaster...........we were lucky the death toll was so low.

lustindarkness

I'm no meteorologist, but in my personal experience with tropical storms, it seems to me the lower categories most of the time bring more rain than hurricanes. Floods kill people too.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 03:06:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2011, 07:08:22 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 06:41:15 PM
Stay classy Bachmann:
Quote from: Michelle BachmannI don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."
It's just a joke.  If James Carville can avoid getting his panties in a twist about it, surely you can.
I think her excuse that this is a joke is probably worse, politically, than if she was serious. Now she is joking about the death of 20 people.
That's not really that bad either.  Twenty people out of a hundred million?  More people probably died of hangnail-related complications that day.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

The American has no stomach for casualties.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

The only God's punishment for legalizing gay marriage is Michelle Bachmann.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 30, 2011, 08:28:26 AM

If only Pat Robertson was there.  He drove off a Hurricane before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 08:57:03 AM

I can see why he would.  If God metes out hurricanes as a punishment, it would be counter-productive to send it wherever Pat Robertson is at the moment.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2011, 08:57:03 AM

Pat makes WONDERFUL pancakes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Some years ago I was hunting in Wareham, Mass. We were on a river bank not too far from where the river empties into the ocean. It was raining, normal storm, but there was a storm tide that we didn't realize. High tide came but the water kept rising fast. Pretty quickly the entire land area around us was covered in water. We used a canoe to get out of there, and that was tricky enough, being careful to keep to calmer water until we got to higher ground. Parts of the neighborhood nearby was flooded out. My friend's car was ruined due to being immersed in water. Just a mess all around. That was my introduction to how bad a storm tide could be, and this was really not a big storm, else we wouldn't have gone hunting in the first place.