And we're back!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2011, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2011, 09:30:04 AM
Yeah, we should be like 1900 in Galveston.  What an ideologically inflexible moron.

I don't think Ron is opposed to the advance notice provided by weather forecasting.

Isn't the National Weather service done at the federal level?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 06:32:24 PM
Isn't the National Weather service done at the federal level?

Yup.

HisMajestyBOB

Stay classy Bachmann:
Quote from: Michelle BachmannI don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 06:41:15 PM
Stay classy Bachmann:
Quote from: Michelle BachmannI don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending."
Just seen this on USA. Another talking head.... :jaron: :jaron:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

I bet lightning bolts simultaneously hitting all the Democratic members of Congress would do the trick.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Stay classy Bachmann:
It's just a joke.  If James Carville can avoid getting his panties in a twist about it, surely you can.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2011, 07:08:22 PM
Stay classy Bachmann:

It's just a joke.  If James Carville can avoid getting his panties in a twist about it, surely you can.

True, Bachmann is a joke.

Neil

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 29, 2011, 07:19:39 PM
Stay classy Bachmann:
True, Bachmann is a joke.
Indeed.  The second Perry declared, her candidacy was finished.  He had everything she does, and one thing that is essential for the evangelical vote, which Bachmann could never have:  A Y-chromosome.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Arvoreen

Neil

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2011, 08:13:39 PM
Quote from: Arvoreen on August 29, 2011, 08:06:29 PM
Looks like more people are asking if Irene was ever a hurricane:
http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/08/when-did-irene-stop-being-hurricane.html
Why's that important?

Because that blog had this comment:

QuoteCliff- Great analysis, and I agree with you. Unfortunately, it won't make any difference. NY/DC consider themselves to be the centers of the universe (financial and government, respectively), and nothing that might be said will change that. You're dealing with people who are proud of the fact that they haven't taken a vacation in several years (why the world might stop if they took a day off, of course, that might be a cause of the hype, but that's a story for another day).

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

I'm going to trust the NHC and other experts over some retards with a blog.
The NHC does commonly review the data from the hurricane season during and after it, upgrading and downgrading if necessary. So, we shall see.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 09:40:08 AM

Presumably he means this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

the Great Hurricane of 1780
Interesting, I didn't know about this storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Hurricane_of_1780#Impact
QuoteThe winds stripped the bark off trees before the hurricane downed every tree on the island.[2] This phenomenon has not been observed in any of the strongest modern-day tropical cyclones, so, according to meteorologist Dr. Jose Millas, for it to have been done by winds and rain alone would require winds over 200 mph (320 km/h)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Stay classy Bachmann:

I think her excuse that this is a joke is probably worse, politically, than if she was serious. Now she is joking about the death of 20 people.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on August 29, 2011, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2011, 11:24:15 AM
Also I saw the last night that your Gov advised people not to go to work if they didn't want to.

:wacko: Worked great for the Greeks.

:D