News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A cure for all viruses

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 18, 2011, 04:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2011, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2011, 05:32:05 PM
I don't see HIV on that list.

Not a virus.  A divine curse.

That 10% of white folk are immune to. :yeah:

Thanks smallpox!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

News chick specifically mentions it will work on the common cold, influenza, polio and several types of hemorrhagic fever.
http://tv.ibtimes.com/mit-discovers-wonder-drug-draco-that-can-kill-any-virus/1641.html

Ide, I thought people attributed that to the Black Death and theorized that it may have been some kind of hemorrhagic fever rather then Yersinia pestis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 18, 2011, 07:04:06 PM

News chick specifically mentions it will work on the common cold, influenza, polio and several types of hemorrhagic fever.
http://tv.ibtimes.com/mit-discovers-wonder-drug-draco-that-can-kill-any-virus/1641.html

Ide, I thought people attributed that to the Black Death and theorized that it may have been some kind of hemorrhagic fever rather then Yersinia pestis.

My understanding is that the Black Death has been pretty conclusively shown to be Y. pestis, and the hemorrhagic folks with their crypto-Ebola were wrong.

I mean, I might be mistaken.

The last time I looked anything up about CCR-5 delta 32 was that there was some discussion over where it came from, either the Black Death (somehow) or adaptation to smallpox, and the evidence leaned toward smallpox.  Again, could be mistaken.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 18, 2011, 07:14:38 PM

My understanding is that the Black Death has been pretty conclusively shown to be Y. pestis, and the hemorrhagic folks with their crypto-Ebola were wrong.

The last time I looked anything up about CCR-5 delta 32 was that there was some discussion over where it came from, either the Black Death (somehow) or adaptation to smallpox, and the evidence leaned toward smallpox.  Again, could be mistaken.
Looking it up, you're right. It seems that it was rather conclusively proved last year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: Ideologue on August 18, 2011, 07:14:38 PM

Black Death was definitely bacterial, so yeah, that's not likely to cause a selective pressure for mutant CCR-5 (which is one of the receptors required for HIV to recognize and enter host T-helper cells). Smallpox or some viral infection that specifically targets immune cells sounds more likely.