After ping pong diplomacy, here comes basketball brawl diplomacy

Started by The Larch, August 19, 2011, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2011, 02:24:19 PM
:lol:  C'mon Speesh, even a Thuggins team doesn't get 15 free throws to 57.

With Chinese refs, he might.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I always find it funny when people say something like "How could 1 team get 57 FTs to the other teams 145!".

Well...one team could foul a lot more than the other team, that's how. Why is that so hard to understand?

I mean, there are lots of OTHER stats in a basketball game that can be very different. You see games where one team doubles up the other teams rebounds, or steals, or turnovers, or points, or blocked shots. Does anyone say "There is no way Team A could possibly get 24 rebounds when team B only got 8!"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I always find it funny when people say something like "there is now way refs could call a bent game!"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2011, 02:11:35 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2011, 01:13:32 PM
I saw the video, and it looked like 2 Chinese players randomly picked a fight and the Chinese bench instantly cleared. I'm not sure this wasn't planned.

I doubt it was planned.  The game was tied at 64 each when the fight broke out.  I think the chinamen were just pissed off at Georgetown's style of play (Big East teams tend to be very physical).  Didn't catch the number of fouls for each side, but apparently the Fightin' Chinamen shot 57 free throws compared to just 15 by Georgetown, which means Georgetown had a ton of fouls called on them (probably 28+). 

I guess if you get physically manhandled throughout the game and you're playing for your country (in your own mind at least), you snap at some point.

Anywho, I always get a kick out of how the Olympics & other international "goodwill" games end up stoking international hatred more than actual good will.

I wouldn't be too surprised if racism was a factor as well.
I wonder if there are even any black guys playing in the Chinese basketball league? I know there's some in the Korean league.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 19, 2011, 03:51:02 PM
I saw the video, and it looked like 2 Chinese players randomly picked a fight and the Chinese bench instantly cleared. I'm not sure this wasn't planned.

I doubt it was planned.  The game was tied at 64 each when the fight broke out.  I think the chinamen were just pissed off at Georgetown's style of play (Big East teams tend to be very physical).  Didn't catch the number of fouls for each side, but apparently the Fightin' Chinamen shot 57 free throws compared to just 15 by Georgetown, which means Georgetown had a ton of fouls called on them (probably 28+). 

I guess if you get physically manhandled throughout the game and you're playing for your country (in your own mind at least), you snap at some point.

Anywho, I always get a kick out of how the Olympics & other international "goodwill" games end up stoking international hatred more than actual good will.

I wouldn't be too surprised if racism was a factor as well.
I wonder if there are even any black guys playing in the Chinese basketball league? I know there's some in the Korean league.

There are a few black players there, plenty of top teams have two or even three Americans nowadays. The Chinese league is slowly becoming an interesting destination for 2nd and 3rd rate players that don't make the cut for the big European leagues, as well as washed up NBA players. Stephon Marbury plays there nowadays.

jimmy olsen

I also thought it looked planned.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

21 looks like he might be getting a good shot in in that photo. 

CountDeMoney

I doubt it was planned. 

This has apparently been the third bench-clearing fight involving that particular Chinese team during exhibition games in recent weeks.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2011, 08:31:12 AM
Chinese and American players end a goodwill basketball game with a massive fight. CdM splooges.

Goddamned right I did.  Brawling with the yerrow peril?  With a Jesuit team, no less?  That was a double spooge.

Only thing would've made it any better would've been if Patrick Ewing was there, climbing a skyscraper and swatting down MiG-21 ripoffs.

The Larch

Apparently that particular Chinese team is linked to the Army, so who knows what's going on behind closed doors...  :ph34r:

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on August 19, 2011, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2011, 10:01:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 09:44:40 AM
That guy in upper-right corner looks ready to kick some serious ass.
looks like he's successfully tearing that guys face.. by grabbing the skin on the back of his head.
Dim Mak
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2011, 02:24:19 PM
:lol:  C'mon Speesh, even a Thuggins team doesn't get 15 free throws to 57.

Biased refs in China? No way! :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

a bunch of black dudes against some chinamen, and the east coast d.c. hoods didn't destroy them? in the game, in the fight.. either way :(

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on August 19, 2011, 09:36:54 PM
a bunch of black dudes against some chinamen, and the east coast d.c. hoods didn't destroy them? in the game, in the fight.. either way :(

I was skeptical about the recent "decline of the West" talk, but you're making me think about it some more :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall