After ping pong diplomacy, here comes basketball brawl diplomacy

Started by The Larch, August 19, 2011, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Chinese and American players end a goodwill basketball game with a massive fight. CdM splooges.

QuoteGeorgetown, Chinese pro team brawl

Georgetown's tour through China turned ugly Thursday when a game between the Hoyas and the Bayi Rockets, a Chinese professional team, ended in a bench-clearing brawl.

Mex Carey, Georgetown's sports information director, told ESPN.com that the game was "very physical," with 57 free throws taken by Bayi to just 15 for Georgetown, and quickly spun out of control.

According to The Washington Post, coach John Thompson III pulled his team off the court with the score tied at 64 midway through the fourth quarter after the teams exchanged punches. One Hoyas player, Henry Sims, was reportedly hit by a chair.

The Hoyas dodged water bottles and other objects thrown from the stands as they made their way to the locker room. Carey said one Georgetown fan in attendance was knocked to the ground after being hit by a bottle.

"The situations we were put in went beyond losing your cool," Thompson said, according to The Post. "It went to, 'I need to protect myself.' That got to a level above and beyond competition and competing, and 'Oh, this is a rough day. The calls aren't going my way.' At the end of the day, you have to protect yourself."

Thompson and two Hoyas players met with members of the Bayi Rockets on Friday morning, sharing "a very cordial and friendly meeting" in which handshakes and autographed balls were exchanged, according to a statement released by Georgetown.

The meeting included Georgetown senior Jason Clark, junior Hollis Thompson, and Rockets players Chen Yu and Lehei De.

"Once it got out of hand, I was in great fear for everyone associated with Georgetown University, because if you look at it in terms of sheer numbers, we were very much outnumbered," Thompson said, according to The Post. "Once it got to that point, once all the skirmishes had ended, my only thought was to get our fans, our players, our family, our friends out of this building as soon as possible."

Georgetown and the Rockets are scheduled to play again Sunday night in Shanghai. The goodwill games coincide with U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's visit to the country.

The melee was the latest instance of on-court fighting by China, whose players have been fined tens of thousands of dollars by the world and Asian federations for scrapping with opponents.

Georgetown is in China on a 10-day trip which has been cited by the U.S. State Department as an example of sports diplomacy that strengthens ties between the two countries. The Hoyas were briefed by the State Department ahead of their departure on what to expect during its trip to Beijing and Shanghai, according to news releases on the university's website.

In a statement, Thompson expressed disappointment but tempered it with optimism.

"Tonight, two great teams played a very competitive game that unfortunately ended after heated exchanges with both teams," Thompson said. "We sincerely regret that this situation occurred. We remain grateful for the opportunity our student-athletes are having to engage in a sport they love here in China, while strengthening their understanding of a nation we respect and admire at Georgetown University."

In Washington, State Department spokesman Mark Toner called it an "unfortunate" incident.

On Thursday, Biden met with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, who is expected to take over as Communist Party chief next year. After his China trip, Biden will go to Mongolia on Monday, then travel later in the day Japan.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Read about this yesterday-- hilarious.  Has there been any video footage?  All I'm seeing are pics, most of which made it look like the chinamen were winning the fight :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

That guy in upper-right corner looks ready to kick some serious ass.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2011, 09:39:37 AM
Read about this yesterday-- hilarious.  Has there been any video footage?  All I'm seeing are pics, most of which made it look like the chinamen were winning the fight :(

Chinamen is not considered an appropriate term, "Chinese" or even "Asian" would have been acceptable.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 09:44:40 AM
looks like he's successfully tearing that guys face.. by grabbing the skin on the back of his head.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2011, 10:01:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 09:44:40 AM
looks like he's successfully tearing that guys face.. by grabbing the skin on the back of his head.
Dim Mak

derspiess

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 19, 2011, 09:54:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2011, 09:39:37 AM

Chinamen is not considered an appropriate term, "Chinese" or even "Asian" would have been acceptable.

Mew.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

I saw the video, and it looked like 2 Chinese players randomly picked a fight and the Chinese bench instantly cleared. I'm not sure this wasn't planned.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2011, 01:13:32 PM
I saw the video, and it looked like 2 Chinese players randomly picked a fight and the Chinese bench instantly cleared. I'm not sure this wasn't planned.

I doubt it was planned.  The game was tied at 64 each when the fight broke out.  I think the chinamen were just pissed off at Georgetown's style of play (Big East teams tend to be very physical).  Didn't catch the number of fouls for each side, but apparently the Fightin' Chinamen shot 57 free throws compared to just 15 by Georgetown, which means Georgetown had a ton of fouls called on them (probably 28+). 

I guess if you get physically manhandled throughout the game and you're playing for your country (in your own mind at least), you snap at some point.

Anywho, I always get a kick out of how the Olympics & other international "goodwill" games end up stoking international hatred more than actual good will.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2011, 08:31:12 AM
Chinese and American players end a goodwill basketball game with a massive fight. CdM splooges.

His two most hated ethnicities destroying each other?  No doubt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

:lol:  C'mon Speesh, even a Thuggins team doesn't get 15 free throws to 57.