News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Thread

Started by Malthus, August 19, 2011, 11:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The Audi styling was daring when they first started it about 12 years or so ago. And it looked really new and cool. But nowadays, all Audis look the same and I can barely tell whether it's an A1 or A8 behind me on the autobahn. They need something new and fresh in my opinion.

Then again, they are mega successful at the moment.

OttoVonBismarck

I like the Audi A4/A6/A8 and the S-line, and I think the R8 (I believe this was Tony Stark's car in Ironman) is actually amazing looking. It also costs like $150-180k so is totally outside the realm of normal human cars.

The TT and TTS I just do not like. I agree that most of the rest of the Audi line look pretty generic, but not in a way that offends me. The look of the TT just doesn't work for me.

I know the Audi is VW's "luxury" line, but in the few cases there is an overlap with a normal VW I actually think the VW is better. I think the VW CC is a better car than the A4, and they are pretty close in price (CC will be a tad cheaper.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 20, 2011, 09:52:25 AM
The TT and TTS I just do not like. I agree that most of the rest of the Audi line look pretty generic, but not in a way that offends me. The look of the TT just doesn't work for me.

Looks like a sperm cell that lost its tail.

QuoteI know the Audi is VW's "luxury" line, but in the few cases there is an overlap with a normal VW I actually think the VW is better. I think the VW CC is a better car than the A4, and they are pretty close in price (CC will be a tad cheaper.)

From what I hear from my coworkers, you are absolutely correct;  and the veedub's styling is substantially better looking than the Audi.

Honestly, I think if Audi could market just one vehicle named "Sedan" and only in black, I think they'd be happy.

Syt

The best looking Audi is still the old Quattro.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I have the sudden urge to put a flux capacitor in that thing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

I've also noticed my tastes have started changing in the last few years when it comes to cars. When I was growing up my grandfather drove nothing but Lincolns, ever. He probably bought 10 Lincoln Town Cars in the 25 years I knew him, trading one in every couple of years. My dad has always driven Caddy's, in my mind I always associated the big Lincolns and Cadillacs with old men, they were large American cars, boxy and uninspiring to me. Cadillacs also have the whole drug dealer / pimp association as well. Most of my life I've bought foreign cars, not out of any anti-Americanism (obviously), but just because I've always liked Toyotas a lot. I had a Toyota truck for years, have had several Camrys, and just think they're great reliable cars. I've always liked the look/handling of German cars but honestly until recently the maintenance issues and reliability issues with them always kept me from going in that direction, but I think that's an area all the major German automakers have really improved on in the last 4-5 years.

That being said my wife's dad bought a 2011 Town Car recently, and I drove it about 100 miles one day and I dunno, I really liked it. It has the handling of a yacht, or perhaps a barge, and it still looks pretty similar to the big boxy town cars of old...but I dunno, just the vast amounts of interior space, general comfort, and the fact that I felt I could ram a Ford Focus going 80 mph and come out without a scratch on me were really appealing.

I find myself thinking the newer model Cadillac sedan's look really sharp too. I'm not sure if it's just the updated styling or if I'm starting to adopt the tastes of an old man.  :huh:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

I am getting older...but mind I haven't done anything crazy like buy a Caddy or Lincoln (or even something like a Toyota Avalon or one of the big Lexus sedans.) I guess maybe you start thinking "hey these don't look bad" in your 40s and then by the time you're in your late 50s you're driving a car that makes it look like you're a livery driver.

DGuller

I like Audi A4 styling.  I'd classify it as highly refined minimalist styling.  In the age when every brand tries to out-funk each other with all the curviness and slipperiness, a minimalist approach looks fresh.  Then again, I like the style of 1988 Chevy Caprice, so maybe I'm just weird.

Zanza

I generally like Audi's interiors. They are usually were well-made both materials and the general layout.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 20, 2011, 10:03:27 AM
I find myself thinking the newer model Cadillac sedan's look really sharp too. I'm not sure if it's just the updated styling or if I'm starting to adopt the tastes of an old man.  :huh:

There's nothing old man about a CTS-V coupe.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 20, 2011, 10:10:36 AM
I am getting older...but mind I haven't done anything crazy like buy a Caddy or Lincoln (or even something like a Toyota Avalon or one of the big Lexus sedans.) I guess maybe you start thinking "hey these don't look bad" in your 40s and then by the time you're in your late 50s you're driving a car that makes it look like you're a livery driver.

I thought everybody was going to give me shit about getting a new Caddy, until they started giving me shit about getting the Jeep.

Caddy = "How old are you? 50?"
Jeep = "How old are you? 20?"

Sometimes, you just can't win.

DGuller

Cadillacs are nice.  Whenever I drive into some impoverished drug-infested areas of Jersey City (usually due to funky GPS routing), seeing them brightens the landscape.