New fighter jet to bolster Russian air force, and India

Started by KRonn, August 17, 2011, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2011, 09:45:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 23, 2011, 05:43:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 05:29:07 PM
My point is that in all aspects, we never treated the Vietnam conflict as a total war, when it was--it ended in the extinction of a friendly government.

Vietnam was a counter-insurgency effort in a geopolitically peripheral nation.  It would have been utterly insane to treat it as a total war.  Ike - who whatever his faults knew a little something about total wars -- understood that, which was why he didn't back the French and kept US commitment limited in the south.  The argument that still gets made by some that "we could have won" had the US fought a Clausewitzian war of annihilation is flawed in multiple respects: it assumes (falsely) that such an effort would be politically feasible, it assumes (falsely) that the effort would have been worth the cost, and it assumes (fasely) that such a "victory" would be of significant practical value once achieved.

South Korea's initial government was a rather incompetent and corrupt dictatorship. If "victory" had assured an independent S. Vietnam I don't see why it's weak government would have prevented it from following S. Korea's path of economic (and likely political) development.  Surely a S. Vietnam even half as developed as S. Korea would be of significant practical value.

Except isn't Vietnam as it stands now doing a pretty good job at economic development?  Wouldn't a Vietnam half as developed as S Kora kind of look like, well, Vietnam?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2011, 03:11:30 PM
Except isn't Vietnam as it stands now doing a pretty good job at economic development?  Wouldn't a Vietnam half as developed as S Kora kind of look like, well, Vietnam?
That's part of my point as well - with the added caveat that having to maintain a bigger military presence both economically and politically would have retarded the growth of both hypothetical Vietnams.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

If South Vietnam still existed, then the diaspora might not have brought us the delightful rap stylings of Chuckie Akenz, like 'You Got Beef?'.

Such a world would be unpleasant, to say the least.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

My point is that in all aspects, we never treated the Vietnam conflict as a total war, when it was--it ended in the extinction of a friendly government.

Vietnam was a counter-insurgency effort in a geopolitically peripheral nation.  It would have been utterly insane to treat it as a total war.  Ike - who whatever his faults knew a little something about total wars -- understood that, which was why he didn't back the French and kept US commitment limited in the south.  The argument that still gets made by some that "we could have won" had the US fought a Clausewitzian war of annihilation is flawed in multiple respects: it assumes (falsely) that such an effort would be politically feasible, it assumes (falsely) that the effort would have been worth the cost, and it assumes (fasely) that such a "victory" would be of significant practical value once achieved.

South Korea's initial government was a rather incompetent and corrupt dictatorship. If "victory" had assured an independent S. Vietnam I don't see why it's weak government would have prevented it from following S. Korea's path of economic (and likely political) development.  Surely a S. Vietnam even half as developed as S. Korea would be of significant practical value.

No.

Vietnam nominal GDP  per capita $1168
South Korea nominal GDP  per capita $20,590
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 07:37:59 PM

No.

Vietnam nominal GDP $1168
South Korea nominal GDP $20,590
Still, South Korea is pretty poor if a guy working at McDonald's makes more than the whole country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 07:42:17 PM

No.

Still, South Korea is pretty poor if a guy working at McDonald's makes more than the whole country.
Forgot to put in 'per capita' :face:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2011, 07:50:17 PM
How is Vietnam compared to Thailand or Myanmar?
Thailand nominal GDP per capita $4,992
Malaysia nominal GDP per capita $8,624
Myanmar nominal GDP per capita $702

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 07:48:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 07:42:17 PM

No.
Forgot to put in 'per capita' :face:
Still not a useful stat.  China has a lower per capita GDP, and yet is no worse a place to live than South Korea.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 07:57:20 PM
Still not a useful stat.  China has a lower per capita GDP, and yet is no worse a place to live than South Korea.
Even if one disregards the political differences between the two, that's a laughable statement. S. Korea is a first world country, from top to bottom, even in the backwoods. One can't say the same about China.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 07:55:27 PM

Expect that figure to jump to $5,992 if I ever win the lottery.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 08:04:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 07:57:20 PM
Even if one disregards the political differences between the two, that's a laughable statement. S. Korea is a first world country, from top to bottom, even in the backwoods. One can't say the same about China.
They're both chinky as hell though.  Also, South Korea has the disadvantage of being helpless before North Korea.

Ideologue

As long as the U.S. is willing to defend South Korea to the last Korean, it'll all be fine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 07:55:27 PM
Malaysia nominal GDP per capita $8,624
Myanmar nominal GDP per capita $702

So yeah, closer to Thailand then South Korea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017