New fighter jet to bolster Russian air force, and India

Started by KRonn, August 17, 2011, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Russia and India work together on a new fighter. I hadn't heard of this before; was kind of surprised as I thought India was moving away from Russia.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/17/new-fighter-jet-to-bolster-russian-air-force/?hpt=hp_c2

New fighter jet to bolster Russian air force

Russia's new stealth fighter jet made its public debut Tuesday, according to state-run news source RIA Novosti.

The Sukhoi T-50, developed collaboratively by Russia and India, appeared at the MAKS 2011 air show in Zhukovsky, outside Moscow.

Gen. Alexander Zelin, head of the Russian air force, told RIA Novosti he expects the T-50 prototype to be ready in 2013, with "mass-produced aircraft" arriving in 2014 or 2015.

The aircraft is expected to become a staple of airborne defense for both Russia and India, Mikhail Pogosyan, head of Russia's United Aircraft Corp., told RIA Novosti.

"The T-50 will be the newest main plane both for the Russian and the Indian air force," Pogosyan said.

The article from the state-run media source says the Sukhoi T-50 cost the two governments about $6 billion to develop, with India shouldering about 35% of the cost. It is intended to match the U.S. F-22 raptor.

DGuller

Really, $6 billion?  That wouldn't develop the tire on the landing gear of the F-22. :rolleyes:

Viking

Just when the Americans have basically realized that the F-22 is a massive piece of overkill capability wise, the Russians go out of their way to make it relevant.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

The Russians can't make anything relevant.  We've beaten them already solely by dint of providing food to our servicepeople.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

Seeing how India might just be the only one of China's enemies left, maybe Taiwan should join in.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 12:48:16 PM
Just when the Americans have basically realized that the F-22 is a massive piece of overkill capability wise, the Russians go out of their way to make it relevant.
I was under the impression that the F-35 was a better plane overall, because of it's versatility compared to the F-22?

EDIT: ah, it's better than the F-16 as A2A, the F-22 is king of A2A but lacks payload for ground attacks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2011, 02:40:28 PM
Seeing how India might just be the only one of China's enemies left, maybe Taiwan should join in.

I find it a little bizarre that those two giant countries have so much bad blood about such tiny and worthless border disputes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 02:58:34 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 12:48:16 PM
I was under the impression that the F-35 was a better plane overall, because of it's versatility compared to the F-22?

I am under the impression that the F-35 was the better multi-role plane, but the F-22 was the better air superiority fighter. I am also under the impression that the F-35 is a better or as good a air superiority fighter than any expected rival for the next generation or two.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 03:03:41 PM
I am under the impression that the F-35 was the better multi-role plane, but the F-22 was the better air superiority fighter. I am also under the impression that the F-35 is a better or as good a air superiority fighter than any expected rival for the next generation or two.
Yes, I got my info wrong, you are correct.
F-35 is supposed to be second only to the F-22 in air superiority.

It's because of the 3 variants of the F-35, I tought the one made for the Air Force was equivalent to the F-22, but it's not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

If it's a real plane the Russians will just make five or six for their forces then export a crap version to other countries.  If it's just an existing plane with cosmetic changes then they adopt it wholeheartedly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2011, 02:40:28 PM

Where did Japan and Vietnam go?

Iormlund

I didn't know the Vietnamese built modern fighters. As for the Japanese, are they legally allowed to export military tech? And seeing how so much of their stuff is derived from US designs, aren't there restrictions on transfer?

citizen k

Quote from: Iormlund on August 17, 2011, 06:03:34 PM
And seeing how so much of their stuff is derived from US designs, aren't there restrictions on transfer?

Doesn't stop the Israelis.

citizen k

I didn't know the Vietnamese built modern fighters.

I thought we were talking about enemies in general or neighbors who are potential enemies. Might as well throw in the Phillipines.

grumbler

I didn't know the Vietnamese built modern fighters.
Why wouldn't they be able to build components, and/or buy the aircraft?  I didn't know the Vietnamese were allergic to modern fighters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!