Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

Started by garbon, August 16, 2011, 12:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Actually, I don't even remember if ToT shields don't work on Protestants.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

QuoteOperation Red Dog was the code name of plan by AUBURN Canadian and American mercenaries, largely affiliated with nationalist groups, to overthrow the government of Dominica, where they planned to restore former Prime Minister Patrick John to power. The chief figures included American Klansman Mike Perdue, Canadian nationalist Wolfgang Droege, and Barbadian weapons smuggler Sydney Burnett-Alleyne.[1] After the plot was thwarted by U.S. federal agents in New Orleans, Louisiana, the news media dubbed it "Bayou of Pigs", after the failed 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion.[1]

The leader Mike Perdue and six other men pleaded guilty to violation of the Neutrality Act; two others were found guilty by a jury.[2] The men received three-year prison sentences.[3]

It goes on continuing not to say wtf they mean by AUBURN.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2011, 11:54:12 PM

They don't, at least in EU2. It's one of the perks for converting away from Catholicism.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2011, 04:36:33 PM
I didn't say all non citizens.  :P I was told by a green card holder from Germany that worked in the US for a number of years that he had picked up an obligation to file US taxes for life regardless of where he lived, but I don't know if that is accurate. Obviously there are enforceability problems even with citizens, but presumably a guy worth billions is worth tracking down.
A couple of years ago, I did an internship in the US. Not on a green card, but a J1 visa. I had to file some documents ("W1" or so?) with the IRS stating that I didn't earn enough to fall under US taxation rules thanks to a German-US tax treaty. If I hadn't done that, I might have gotten problems the next time I wanted to visit the US or at the latest when I ever want to work there again.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on August 17, 2011, 04:06:16 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2011, 04:36:33 PM
I didn't say all non citizens.  :P I was told by a green card holder from Germany that worked in the US for a number of years that he had picked up an obligation to file US taxes for life regardless of where he lived, but I don't know if that is accurate. Obviously there are enforceability problems even with citizens, but presumably a guy worth billions is worth tracking down.
A couple of years ago, I did an internship in the US. Not on a green card, but a J1 visa. I had to file some documents ("W1" or so?) with the IRS stating that I didn't earn enough to fall under US taxation rules thanks to a German-US tax treaty. If I hadn't done that, I might have gotten problems the next time I wanted to visit the US or at the latest when I ever want to work there again.

Meh, Syria is nice this time of year.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 17, 2011, 12:13:08 AM

They don't, at least in EU2. It's one of the perks for converting away from Catholicism.

And I don't think there was a ToT in Eu3.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Quote from: Josephus on August 17, 2011, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 17, 2011, 12:13:08 AM

And I don't think there was a ToT in Eu3.

No, Paradox raped the fuck out of that title.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2011, 06:05:20 PM
China Mieville weighed in on this back on 2007: http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3328/

You really can spot a Marxist a mile away.  He manages to drown out any good points he makes with nonsense and communist buzzwords.  To me, the weaker utopian impulse is point in it's favor, not a detraction.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

The billionaire would still need income from US sources, presumably, or from anywhere in the world.  There's no way this floating island or ship would provide enough revenues for a billionaire to sustain him.  All income from the US would be taxed in the US, presumably, given there would be no fiscal agreement with his new nationality and the US.

If he remains a citizen of the US of A, he will have to tax himself on all worlwide income.

The floating island is too small for a fortune 500 company to have its HQ, therefore, that company woud still have to apply US laws as it will be based in the US.

And the cost of such a project is likely to be more than 1.5 million dollars, so you need a lot of libertarians to build it.  If the Tea Partyers weren't all on wellfare instead of working productive jobs, they might have enough money to build their paradise island.

But I kinda suspect no one will really want to abandon US citizenship with all the priviledges it gives.  Would a libertarian state called Libertaria open diplomatic ambassies worldwide to help their citizens in case of trouble?  I doubt it...  So, citizens would have to rely on themselves if they or their corporations get in trouble abroad.  Not sure that's appealing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 12:21:25 PM
If the Tea Partyers weren't all on wellfare instead of working productive jobs, they might have enough money to build their paradise island.

Tea Partyers: not libertarians.  Even to the extent they are, they are especially not these sorts of libertarians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."