Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

Started by garbon, August 16, 2011, 12:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was wondering the same thing as Marty.  Let's say they buy citizenship in the Cayman Islands or some other fake country.  Then they buy recognition of Oilrigistan from the Cayman Islands.  The US no longer has jurisdiction, no?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:20:33 PM
I largely agree but can't they renounce their US citizenship?

You can only do it from a foreign consulate, not from a floating oil platform.  They could renounce before entering the oil platform but that would leave them stateless, which could prove extremely awkward if anyone decided they wanted to move off the platform back to civilization later. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2011, 04:26:31 PM

You can only do it from a foreign consulate, not from a floating oil platform.  They could renounce before entering the oil platform but that would leave them stateless, which could prove extremely awkward if anyone decided they wanted to move off the platform back to civilization later.

Well, as Yi said there are plenty of pseudo-states willing to give them citizenship for a buck.

And also, considering they are batshit crazy to begin with, I assumed that the prospect of being stateless if this does go bust is not something that would worry them.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2011, 04:24:46 PM
I was wondering the same thing as Marty.  Let's say they buy citizenship in the Cayman Islands or some other fake country.  Then they buy recognition of Oilrigistan from the Cayman Islands.  The US no longer has jurisdiction, no?

They would not become recognized a nation state which is able to exert its own territorial boundaries and therefore the International Law of the Sea will still apply if they are outside the boundaries of a Nation State.

ie they cant escape the Man.

alfred russel

And without knowing all the ins and outs, there are all sorts of tax payments that trigger if you renounce your US citizenship with significant assets.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2011, 04:29:03 PM

They would not become recognized a nation state which is able to exert its own territorial boundaries and therefore the International Law of the Sea will still apply if they are outside the boundaries of a Nation State.

Would that mean they have to file taxes in the US?  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2011, 04:30:02 PM

And without knowing all the ins and outs, there are all sorts of tax payments that trigger if you renounce your US citizenship with significant assets.

Well, the guy is a billionaire. An assumption is that he can hire good tax lawyers.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:30:40 PM

Yes--all American citizens have to file taxes (if you have relevent income) regardless of where you live or what citizenship you pick up. I think some non citizens are supposed to as well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Minsky Moment

The tax havens are pretty lax about entry and work requirements as long as you have the resources, but citizenship is another story.  Caymans, e.g. requires 3-5 years.

Actually getting recognition from the Caymans would not be possible because the Caymans aren't an independent sovereign territory capable of granting recognition.

Even if all the hoops were jumped through, the US (and I assume many other countries as well) would still reserve the right to call inhabitants to account if their actions resulted in criminal consequences in the US (eg drug or weapons trafficking).  For example, the US applies its federal drug laws to any stateless (non-flagged) vessel carrying drugs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Sure, provided they don't mind becoming stateless individuals.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2011, 04:32:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:30:40 PM

Yes--all American citizens have to file taxes (if you have relevent income) regardless of where you live or what citizenship you pick up. I think some non citizens are supposed to as well.

I'm fairly certain that non-American citizens who do not live in the US probably do not have to. If they do, I'm screwed.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:31:24 PM
Well, the guy is a billionaire. An assumption is that he can hire good tax lawyers.

If he has figured out a way to renounce his US citizenship and still avoid US taxes, that is great for him, but that seems disconnected from living on an oil platform.

Ed Anger

I'll enjoy the footage of a SEAL team assraping them on their oil platform
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:34:07 PM
I'm fairly certain that non-American citizens who do not live in the US probably do not have to. If they do, I'm screwed.

yes - this is one of those ways in which the US is "special"
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2011, 04:33:19 PM
For example, the US applies its federal drug laws to any stateless (non-flagged) vessel carrying drugs.

Even in international waters?  :huh: