News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stop Coddling the Super-Rich

Started by Alcibiades, August 15, 2011, 12:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 15, 2011, 03:12:44 PM
It was 100 000$ exemption, and it was from 1985 to 1994.

It was 500,000 reduced to 100,000 in 88 and then eliminiated all together in the 90's.  There are special rules for agriculture as you pointed out.

Alcibiades

Well, for better or worse, Obama heard.

Obama: Warren Buffett Is Right On Taxes

President Barack Obama just endorsed Warren Buffett's op-ed in the New York Times today calling on higher taxes on the wealthy.
"He said we've got to stop coddling billionaires like me," Obama said at a town hall event in Cannon Falls, MN, a stop on his three-day bus tour. "That's what Warren Buffett said."
"He pointed out that he pays a lower tax rate than anybody in his office, including the secretary," he added. "He figured out that his tax bill, he paid about 17 percent. And the reason is because most of his wealth comes from capital gains."
"You don't get those tax breaks, you're paying more than that," Obama said.
The president also called for the new Super Committee tasked with $1.5 trillion in deficit cuts to embrace Buffett's proposals for more substantial savings.
Buffett defended increasing taxes from claims that doing so would hurt the economy, writing: "I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000. You know what's happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation."
Obama will hold another town hall in Decorah, Iowa this afternoon.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-warren-buffett-is-right-on-taxes-2011-8#ixzz1V9OozzEy

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 15, 2011, 08:21:35 PM
"He pointed out that he pays a lower tax rate than anybody in his office, including the secretary," he added. "He figured out that his tax bill, he paid about 17 percent. And the reason is because most of his wealth comes from capital gains."
"You don't get those tax breaks, you're paying more than that," Obama said.

Yes I do.  We all do.

Martinus

Anyway, I'd rather coddle the super-rich than the super-poor. The super-rich usually shower and use expensive perfume, unlike the super-poor.  :yucky:

Eddie Teach

But it's the expensive perfume habit that makes them poor.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2011, 04:06:05 AM
Anyway, I'd rather coddle the super-rich than the super-poor. The super-rich usually shower and use expensive perfume, unlike the super-poor.  :yucky:

Your recent past contradicts this assertion.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 16, 2011, 10:48:30 AM

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

I said "usually". It's different when I'm paying for the perfume.

Ideologue

Hiyo.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 01:44:50 PM
Quote from: dps on August 15, 2011, 12:00:11 PM
If you read the article, you realize that the real culprit isn't that the tax rates need to be raised, but that there are too many tax breaks available to the super-rich.

I thought it was the fact that capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than earned income.

IIRC its partially that, but Warren is also annoyed by the treatment of carried interest, which basically treats the bulk of hedge fund and private equity fee income as preferential long term cap gains for tax purposes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson