News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Appeals Court rules Obamacare unconstitutional

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 12, 2011, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 03:39:38 PM
It's that way because car insurance is mainly structured as a liability insurance.  If I run into you and cripple you for life, it's not looked upon as a chance event happening to you.  It's loooked upon as tort, and thus it makes me liable to pay your damages.  Given that, it's in society's interest to make sure that I can actually pay you the judgment against me.

Who's interests are we more concerned about?  Mine or Society?  Anyway, I'm already legally crippled for life.  You run over my legs and cripple me, I'll kick your head in!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 03:56:26 PM
Let me the first to say it:

"Damn those activist judges!". :mad:

Hans is outraged by our unelected God-Emperors I am sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2011, 04:50:56 PM

Has anyone heard from him in a while?  I thought he was going to out to shoot at Pashtuns.  I hope he's okay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 04:52:32 PM

Has anyone heard from him in a while?  I thought he was going to out to shoot at Pashtuns.  I hope he's okay.

Hopefully, he jamming the leaflets up their asses.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 04:52:32 PM

Humvees need their 3,000 mile oil changes.  He'll be fine.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 12:41:03 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 12, 2011, 12:31:09 PM
5-4 anyone?
No reasonable doubt in my mind.
How do they do it without overturning all the other decisions on the Commerce Clause?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2011, 10:51:04 PM
How do they do it without overturning all the other decisions on the Commerce Clause?

By ruling that existence is not a commercial act.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2011, 12:14:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2011, 11:25:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 13, 2011, 11:07:37 PM
5-4 anyone?
Because they want to?
That's why, not how.
Do they need a way?  Isn't their sayso good enough?
Since they support those other commerce clause decisions they'll have to rule very narrowly and explain why it doesn't overturn them as well.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 01:22:43 AM
Since they support those other commerce clause decisions they'll have to rule very narrowly and explain why it doesn't overturn them as well.
They can just say that it doesn't, because the founders wrote the constitution with the intention that the rich get richer and the poor get enslaved.

dps

Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2011, 01:33:40 PM
They can just say that it doesn't, because the founders wrote the constitution with the intention that the rich get richer and the poor get enslaved.

Yeah, 'cause establishing an individual mandate that forces people who can't afford health insurance to purchase it anyway or face legal penalties really screws the wealthy and helps the poor.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on August 14, 2011, 12:14:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2011, 11:25:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 13, 2011, 11:07:37 PM
5-4 anyone?
Because they want to?
That's why, not how.
Do they need a way?  Isn't their sayso good enough?

Christ Tim, this is a thread about an appeals court that just tossed it out as unconsititional. If you want a heads up on what rationale could be used to consider it unconstitutional, you could just look at a description of the rationale in the opening post, or if you are really curious read the opinion. (or read the opinions of most of the republican appointed judges that have ruled in similar cases--not all because I know at least one let it stand).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: dps on August 14, 2011, 02:13:14 PM
Yeah, 'cause establishing an individual mandate that forces people who can't afford health insurance to purchase it anyway or face legal penalties really screws the wealthy and helps the poor.
It does help the poor, because without the mandate universal coverage is impossible without single payer system.