Spanish soccer pro quits sports in criticism of capitalism

Started by Syt, August 12, 2011, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: alfred russel on August 12, 2011, 11:20:15 AM
Slargos views on race : Slargos views on economics

United by wrongness.

Quite possible.  :)

Though I will admit to some curiosity: What exactly are, in your opinion, my views on race?

alfred russel

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 11:25:49 AM

United by wrongness.

Though I will admit to some curiosity: What exactly are, in your opinion, my views on race?

I don't know if I've tried to analyze what you write very often, because your views on race come across as in general racist, which is enough to know that there isn't much reason to give them further thought.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Slargos

Quote from: alfred russel on August 12, 2011, 11:34:27 AM

United by wrongness.

I don't know if I've tried to analyze what you write very often, because your views on race come across as in general racist, which is enough to know that there isn't much reason to give them further thought.  :)

Yet you still claim you can quantify them. Interesting.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 07:35:31 AM
and for one person to make the kind of lol-wages the pro footballers make, thousands of others have to make up for it.

The people making up for it are those who can afford soccer tickets and presumably they feel they are getting their money's worth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 11:39:29 AM

United by wrongness.

How about this - you HAVE views on race, while most of us don't.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

:yes: It is sort of like when someone starts talking about men coexisting with dinosaurs. I may not know the details of exactly what he believes, but I can stop listening as I know he is wrong.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 11:41:44 AM

United by wrongness.

How about this - you HAVE views on race, while most of us don't.

Really? I find that hard to believe.

Barrister

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 11:43:17 AM

I have views on people, and on cultures.  I worry not a whit about "race".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: alfred russel on August 12, 2011, 11:43:04 AM

:yes: It is sort of like when someone starts talking about men coexisting with dinosaurs. I may not know the details of exactly what he believes, but I can stop listening as I know he is wrong.

Of that there's little doubt. You don't need to know anything to know that you know. It's pretty funny.  :D

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 11:44:41 AM

are natives a culture or race? :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 11:44:41 AM

I believe that you believe that. But how is it possible to not have a view on something you know exists?

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2011, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 07:35:31 AM
I can certainly sympathise with his thoughts. No matter how you want to spin it, the economy IS a zero-sum game, and for one person to make the kind of lol-wages the pro footballers make, thousands of others have to make up for it.

Uhhh, yeah....the problem is that the economy is not a zero-sum game, no matter how you want to spin it.

You need some basic econ 101. Start with the concept of specialization.

Perhaps it's just his personal thing.  When ever he sells a cabinet the person he sells it to loses.  Or he loses.  Or the maker loses.  Someone loses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 11:23:43 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2011, 11:20:57 AM
The economy has a lot more to it than currency. Really, focusing on currency as some kind of placeholder for economic activity is a little...well, wrong.

You don't even need to have currency at all to engage in economic activity...

QuoteThe potential for production of goods and services is finite

To the extent that this makes any sense, it is demonstrably wrong. The potential for production of goods and services is not at all finite in any meaningful sense.

Can you add hours to the day?

We don't need to add any hours to the day to increase production though - we've had the same 24 hours throughout human history,and yet production has increased immensely, and continues to do so.

QuoteThis footballer can trade in one of his work hours for roughly 600 hours of those of his averagely earning peers. That is the gist of the issue.

No, the gist is that his peers choose to use an hour of their labor to pay for him to entertain them. How can you (or him for that matter) argues that this is unfair somehow, when they do so of their own free will?

If they do not think his entertainment value is sufficient for the price he charges for it, they won't watch him. You (and him) are arguing that basically they should not be allowed to trade their labor for the product they WANT to purchase!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 11:48:25 AM

Of that there's little doubt. You don't need to know anything to know that you know. It's pretty funny.  :D

I need to know something: that you post racist crap at every opportunity.