News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Kleves on August 14, 2011, 09:04:44 PM
Obama's approval rating is at an all-time low. Sanity is going out of style.

You know, I wish the Republicans were cool and evil like in the old days. Now they're just pathetic and stupid.  :(

Agree

Old GOP

New GOP
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2011, 05:23:27 AM
Agree

Old GOP

So true, I remember watching The Matrix for the first time, thinking, "You know, these guys are straight out of the Nixon White House". :lol:

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2011, 09:29:17 PM
Quote from: Kleves on August 14, 2011, 09:04:44 PM
Obama's approval rating is at an all-time low. Sanity is going out of style.

You know, I wish the Republicans were cool and evil like in the old days. Now they're just pathetic and stupid. They've gone from Michael to Fredo.  :(

Are there any candidates you like?

Romney, Gingerich and Huntsman seem to merely be sipping the KoolAid(tm) and don't seem to be partaking of the Bat Guano. Bachman, Perry, Cain, Santorum and Paul seem to be doing one or both quite enthusiastically.

I don't think I'd prefer Romney, Gingerich or Huntsman over Obama, but they would be sane presidents.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2011, 06:15:34 AM
Agree

Old GOP

So true, I remember watching The Matrix for the first time, thinking, "You know, these guys are straight out of the Nixon White House". :lol:

Everything was cooler when Nixon was president. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

It's kind of funny that the party of "small government" produces the presidents that get the most involved and (I feel) toe the line of overstepping their constitutional authority.  People like Siege bitch and moan about "lame" presidents, when it's pretty damn obvious they don't have enough of a clue about civics to understand what it is the president actually does.

Real power is in congress, power.  The president has limited pull and veto power, but the president is only a net negative on legislation, folks.  This isn't a faux-monarchy.  A president that refuses to bully Congress into getting his way is just one that's actually taking his oath to defend the constitution seriously.
Experience bij!

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2011, 07:28:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2011, 06:15:34 AM
Agree

Old GOP

Everything was cooler when Nixon was president. :(

This is going to be Neil's next avatar

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:42:50 PM
Obama is no Mayor Nutters. Nutters in 2012!

No.  Just no.  The whole country would stink as bad as Philadelphia does right now (literally!).  He goes into Center City every day- I have no idea what possessed him to believe that rolling back trash pickup in a dense urban area was a good idea.  I'm pretty unshakeable in my love for Philly, but my nose is a little more easily swayed. <_<
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 15, 2011, 07:38:18 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 06:42:50 PM
Obama is no Mayor Nutters. Nutters in 2012!

No.  Just no.  The whole country would stink as bad as Philadelphia does right now (literally!).  He goes into Center City every day- I have no idea what possessed him to believe that rolling back trash pickup in a dense urban area was a good idea.  I'm pretty unshakeable in my love for Philly, but my nose is a little more easily swayed. <_<

Jersey people complaining about smells.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Pawlenty is out, which eases the competition for the sanity vote.
But that leaves Huntsman, who looks like a no chancer, and Mitt, whose track record re national GOP primaries is unimpressive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

It doesn't really matter, does it?

Obama is going to get re-elected barring some kind of complete disaster.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2011, 10:03:35 AM
It doesn't really matter, does it?

Obama is going to get re-elected barring some kind of complete disaster.
... like Obama not getting re-elected.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2011, 09:57:34 AMMitt, whose track record re national GOP primaries is unimpressive.

He did very well in 2k8.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 15, 2011, 10:43:19 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2011, 09:57:34 AMMitt, whose track record re national GOP primaries is unimpressive.

He did very well in 2k8.

:huh:
He finished behind the talk show host from Arkansas.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Brain on August 15, 2011, 02:09:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 02:06:46 AM
I suspect that the men in his unit have been giving him ideas.

Unlikely.

Well, he must be getting them from somewhere.  It's not like he could think up any on his own.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2011, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 15, 2011, 10:43:19 AM

He did very well in 2k8.

:huh:
He finished behind the talk show host from Arkansas.

Are you sure about that? He won more states than Huck did.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers