And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2011, 08:32:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2011, 07:59:39 PM
Actually, you have to attend a fundraising event, so it's not like you're just dropping $30 on the vote.  Punch was served!

I'm not sure I see the point of selectively quoting my post then rephrasing the part you omitted.  :hmm:

I'm not sure I see the point of you objecting to it for whatever Yi reason you may have. :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Watching these interviews, Ive noticed that Newt is the candidate furthest to the left. Odd.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: sbr on August 13, 2011, 08:20:13 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 06:45:26 PM
Perry is in, it's official. Now the man who called for secession in April 2009 is going for President. After looking over his wiki article, he manages to hit the wrong button on all issues.

- Against the HPV vaccine

What?  Perry enacted an executive order that forced all 6th grade girls in Texas to get the HPV vaccine before the entire state rebelled against him.e

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/02/06/6hpv.html

Yeah. That was one of the few things he tried to do that I supported.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 13, 2011, 08:50:33 PM
Watching these interviews, Ive noticed that Newt is the candidate furthest to the left. Odd.

Just goes to show you exactly how clinically insane the Republican Party has gone.  When Newt Gingrich is your leftie, you've got major sanity issues.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 13, 2011, 08:50:33 PM

In a political sense or a spatial sense?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Perry is in, it's official. Now the man who called for secession in April 2009 is going for President. After looking over his wiki article, he manages to hit the wrong button on all issues.

- Creationism
- Lack of fiscal good sense
- Pro Life
- Anti Gay
- Against Planned Parenthood
- Believes Israel has a divine right to exist
- At least 234 executions (I'm not against the death penalty, I'm just against diluting it's effect by killing the innocent and the guilty guilty of lesser crimes)
- Global Warming denier

All of course in addition to the 1st Amendment smashing Prayrepalooza where he admitted that he was not competent to solve Texas' problems, so he tries praying and before the results can be tested he decides that not being able to solve Texas' problems makes him competent to solve America's problems.

I'm sorry, but this guy is a full scale red flag for all non-insane human beings.

FYP.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on August 11, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Moderator: When you were governor you raised taxes and balanced your budget, doesn't this mean that raising taxes might be used to balance the budget?
Pawlenty/Romney: No

idiots..... reality doesn't seem to impact either of those idiots
Obviously they don't believe that. They said it because they had to. If they didn't they'd have no hope of winning the primary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So you're saying Republican primary voters are the idiots?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2011, 01:05:59 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 11, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Moderator: When you were governor you raised taxes and balanced your budget, doesn't this mean that raising taxes might be used to balance the budget?
Pawlenty/Romney: No

idiots..... reality doesn't seem to impact either of those idiots
Obviously they don't believe that. They said it because they had to. If they didn't they'd have no hope of winning the primary.

The tax questions were traps.  Anyone who answered yes to them would've been out of the primary the next day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on August 14, 2011, 01:38:08 AM
The tax questions were traps.  Anyone who answered yes to them would've been out of the primary the next day.

Disagree.  An example of a pure trap question was Chris Matthews asking last round's GOP primary field if they would hire Karl Rove.  The candidates were given the choice between pissing off the majority of the electorate or throwing the Bush adminstration under the bus.  There were no policy implications whatsoever.

Raising taxes to get the deficit under control was a legitimate policy question.  There's a lot of ways they could have handled it.  Change the subject to out of control spending (i.e. duck the question).  Say deficit reduction is so important everything has to be on the table.  Give a vague answer that leaves wiggle room.  Or commit to read my lips. 

Running to the fringe in the primary then trying to reposition to the middle in the general is the candidate's job, not the debate moderator's.

Martinus

Is there anyone actually sane who stands a good chance of winning Republican primaries?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2011, 07:37:00 PM

- Creationism
- Lack of fiscal good sense
- Pro Life
- Anti Gay
- Against Planned Parenthood
- Believes Israel has a divine right to exist
- At least 234 executions (I'm not against the death penalty, I'm just against diluting it's effect by killing the innocent and the guilty guilty of lesser crimes)
- Global Warming denier

Sounds like a Republican.

Not sure if you are being facetious, but you can hold a "Republican" stance on these issues but still have vastly different views.

Take "anti-gay" for example. You could be opposed to gay marriage, but take a view like Rudy that it is ultimately not the federal government's job to legislate people's personal lives. You can be like Bush and support DOMA. Or you can be like Perry and think that Lawrence vs. Texas was a mistake.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2011, 03:43:43 AMIs there anyone actually sane who stands a good chance of winning Republican primaries?

Not since 1976.

Princesca

"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

Neil

Isn't he the highest-placed non-lunatic, or does he figure that Perry messes that up for him?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.