And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on August 13, 2011, 08:44:31 AM
Quote from: Princesca on August 13, 2011, 06:17:39 AM
The government will still penalize you financially when they make mistakes. Look at the situation we're in now. The value of currency dropping, the prospect of inflation,

Have we had inflation the past year?

Probably.  We have inflation every year.  It's not really a bad thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 09:20:33 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 13, 2011, 08:44:31 AM
The government will still penalize you financially when they make mistakes. Look at the situation we're in now. The value of currency dropping, the prospect of inflation,

Have we had inflation the past year?

Probably.  We have inflation every year.  It's not really a bad thing.

I get that, but usually when somebody mentions inflation in this context they mean the stagflation of the 1970s, which I don't think we have had.

Fate

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: Fate on August 13, 2011, 09:05:51 AM
I thought we wanted inflation right now?  :huh:

organize 10,000% inflation over the next 20 years and you reduce the debt by a factor of 100 and permanently screw with america's credit worthyness.... or you drive interest rates up above 15%....

Basically follow Iceland's currency policy...

10,000% seems a bit excessive. I've heard Ivy talking heads calling for 4-6%.  :hmm:

Kleves

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 07:30:29 AM
Governments didn't adopt fiat currency out of some conspiracy to incontinence you...
Heh.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

Quote from: Fate on August 13, 2011, 09:31:41 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2011, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: Fate on August 13, 2011, 09:05:51 AM
I thought we wanted inflation right now?  :huh:

organize 10,000% inflation over the next 20 years and you reduce the debt by a factor of 100 and permanently screw with america's credit worthyness.... or you drive interest rates up above 15%....

Basically follow Iceland's currency policy...

10,000% seems a bit excessive. I've heard Ivy talking heads calling for 4-6%.  :hmm:

10,000% over 20 years is 25% per year.

6% per year over 20 years is 320% - is that what you want?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Who says we need it for 20 years?

Neil

The government will still penalize you financially when they make mistakes. Look at the situation we're in now. The value of currency dropping, the prospect of inflation, or at the very least, other major economic troubles continuing at least into 2013. The idea with having non-fiat currency is that people are not likely to tolerate aggressive wars that are not to serve a truly noble purpose. In short, it wouldn't keep us out of WWII, but it would have probably kept us out of Iraq, or if not kept us out, it would have vastly shortened our engagement. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Because it's better for a government to have more freedom of action, rather than less.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Perry officially in.  The guy always gives me slime vibes when I see him on some shows.  :x

Fate

We're glad to get rid of him, if only until November of 2012.  ;)

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2011, 12:50:06 PM
Perry's leadership is basically to ignore problems and put them off as long as possible

So he's sort of a white version of Obama, then.  Hmm.  Maybe he *can* win.

:D

dps

The government will still penalize you financially when they make mistakes. Look at the situation we're in now. The value of currency dropping, the prospect of inflation, or at the very least, other major economic troubles continuing at least into 2013. The idea with having non-fiat currency is that people are not likely to tolerate aggressive wars that are not to serve a truly noble purpose. In short, it wouldn't keep us out of WWII, but it would have probably kept us out of Iraq, or if not kept us out, it would have vastly shortened our engagement. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

People don't have any foresight when it comes to our economic problems anymore. Just because you aren't paying for something NOW doesn't mean you won't pay, exponentially, down the road, in "hidden" ways. Why do you think the government is so keen on inflating the money supply? We get to go to wars we shouldn't be in, and have programs we can't afford that increase the authority and scope of government,  while the average taxpayer just says 'Wow, those greedy companies keep raising prices at the grocery store!' They don't realize that the Fed's quantitative easing can cause inflation, that all these things are connected in the broader market.

These are absurd arguments. 

While I don't necessarily agree with all of Raz's arguments, I do have to agree with the basic sentiment expressed above.  A good argument for an economic policy would be its positive economic benefits, not its foreign policy benefits.  Especially when those claimed foreign policy benefits seem unlikely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on August 13, 2011, 09:37:44 AM
Governments didn't adopt fiat currency out of some conspiracy to incontinence you...
Heh.

Actually, I did see that after I posted it, but didn't edit it, as I also found it amusing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Kleves

Bachmann won the straw poll. http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/13/7366544-bachmann-wins-ames-straw-poll

And Kleves moves one step closer to joining the party of treason.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Kleves on August 13, 2011, 06:10:17 PM
Bachmann won the straw poll. http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/13/7366544-bachmann-wins-ames-straw-poll

And Kleves moves one step closer to joining the party of treason.  :(

Ya can't spell 'treason' without 'reason'.  :contract:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2011, 01:35:26 PM
Perry officially in.  The guy always gives me slime vibes when I see him on some shows.  :x

A poor man's George W. Bush.