And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 12, 2011, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 04:32:45 PM

The idea that I should be reduced to poverty because the government makes a mistake does not strike me as an improvement over the current system.   

Indeed. That IS the current system.

I didn't have to give up my veggies or silk stockings or any other good due to the Iraq War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

The idea that I should be reduced to poverty because the government makes a mistake does not strike me as an improvement over the current system.   
That's every system.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Princesca on August 12, 2011, 02:31:55 PM
When wars are "cheap" from the perspective of the average person, there's no real disincentive to getting involved in quagmires like Iraq.

It may be "cheap" compared to WWII, but it was certainly expensive enough to serve as a disincentive. As hopefully it has done so in regards to Libya.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2011, 12:50:06 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2011, 12:23:12 PM
From afar, the fact of strong job creation in Texas; the state budget  under control, are two things that I can think of that are talked about with him. But what I don't know is how much is his doing.

WTF?  Um our state budget is royally screwed which is incredible given how strong the state's economy is.  Perry's leadership is basically to ignore problems and put them off as long as possible and pray.  Lots of praying and putting his foot in his mouth.  And lots of bullying and political cronyism and corruption.

Our strong job creation is the result of long standing political philosophies in Texas that have been in existance for a long time.

Besides as I tried to explain to you guys before the Texas Governor has very little real power.  It is mostly a job of convincing and unofficial power (which Perry largely abuses) and generally a terrible audition job for being a US President.
Well, good to know from someone who lives there. I've had similar views when Mass pols run for national office, like Dukakis for President in the late 80s. As I said, I'm going from what is being reported, and so far it seems that Perry is being shown in a pretty good way. It's not my view, but what I'm hearing of. But the issues you talk of will, or should, come out as the campaign goes on and his opponents will bring this stuff out. As of now though, my thoughts on him are a lot more negative, as maybe he is a do nothing pol like you say, and damn, we don't need anymore of those on the national stage.

Viking

I can't help thinking that if Romney had defended the Massachusetts health care system with the phrase "Massachusetts has 10 democratic congressmen. The people of Massachusetts got the health care system that they wanted. blablabla Now the American people need to get the Health Care system that they want and deserve." He would have safely weasled out the problem and gone up in my estimation while establishing that any bleeding heart policy he might have had while in Massachusetts is irrelevant, because Massachusetts is populated with MoveOnIstas and radical liberal god hating atheists.

But he didn't...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Iormlund

You're counting on Republican voters to be reasonable there Viking. In reality they would have chided him anyway, for having failed to immolate himself in a holy crusade against the death panels. No compromise!

Jacob

Viking

Quote from: Iormlund on August 12, 2011, 06:26:35 PM
You're counting on Republican voters to be reasonable there Viking. In reality they would have chided him anyway, for having failed to immolate himself in a holy crusade against the death panels. No compromise!

This is why Obama will win.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Palisadoes

Texan governor - Perry, or something - seems to have positive reviews from the BBC here today. He looks presidential too.

Admiral Yi

Has Romney's heckler zerg rush at the Iowa state fair already been mentioned somewhere?

Fate

Quote from: Palisadoes on August 12, 2011, 07:00:16 PM
Texan governor - Perry, or something - seems to have positive reviews from the BBC here today. He looks presidential too.

Do people seriously think a Shrub lackey is going to win against Obama? Sure, Romney has a shot, but Perry was Bush's Lt. Governor for christ's sake.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Palisadoes on August 12, 2011, 07:00:16 PM

He looks like a soap opera star to me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2011, 06:21:49 PM
I can't help thinking that if Romney had defended the Massachusetts health care system with the phrase "Massachusetts has 10 democratic congressmen. The people of Massachusetts got the health care system that they wanted. blablabla Now the American people need to get the Health Care system that they want and deserve." He would have safely weasled out the problem and gone up in my estimation while establishing that any bleeding heart policy he might have had while in Massachusetts is irrelevant, because Massachusetts is populated with MoveOnIstas and radical liberal god hating atheists.

But he didn't...

He definitely has a health care problem for the Republican primary, and what you wrote is one way to try to diffuse it, but...

Wouldn't he be announcing that he rolled over and passed a bad bill? The attacks then would be that he was confronted with an early version of Obamacare and rather than having the courage to fight the moveonistas, he meekly signed it into law. Then there would be the problem that he took credit for it and ran on it during the 2008 election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: alfred russel on August 12, 2011, 09:21:22 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 12, 2011, 06:21:49 PM

But he didn't...

He definitely has a health care problem for the Republican primary, and what you wrote is one way to try to diffuse it, but...

Wouldn't he be announcing that he rolled over and passed a bad bill? The attacks then would be that he was confronted with an early version of Obamacare and rather than having the courage to fight the moveonistas, he meekly signed it into law. Then there would be the problem that he took credit for it and ran on it during the 2008 election.

Yes, Obama was brilliant in adopting a republican centrist health care reform plan rather than going for a democratic one. Basically it either means easy passage or removing any centrist republicans from any future presidential race in 2012.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 04:37:22 PM

I didn't have to give up my veggies or silk stockings or any other good due to the Iraq War.

Yeah, we put Iraq on the credit card.  :(
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers