Apple prevents sales of Samsung's tablet computer in EU (except Netherlands)

Started by Syt, August 10, 2011, 12:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14470253

QuoteApple has been granted a temporary injunction preventing Samsung Electronics from selling iPad tablet computer rival Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the European Union, except the Netherlands.

An Apple spokeswoman confirmed the ruling had been made by a court in Germany, after Apple argued the Korean firm had infringed its patents.

It is the latest setback for Samsung's launch of the Galaxy.

The Galaxy's Australian release has been delayed due to a similar lawsuit.

Apple is also seeking a court order to temporarily block sales of the tablet computer in the US until patent claims are resolved.

Legal dispute

Apple argues that Samsung has "slavishly" copied the technology of both the iPad and the iPhone.

Samsung has countersued Apple in South Korea, Japan, the US and Germany.

In a statement, Samsung spokesman Kim Titus said the German court had made its order "without any hearing or presentation of evidence from Samsung."

The company would "act immediately to defend our intellectual property rights," he added.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

If it can be sold in the Netherlands, then I can't see how they can be prevented from selling it in other EU member states on the basis of the injunction. Only individual EU member states can prevent the sale of good legally sold in another member state, and on very limited grounds. I can't see the basis for that ruling being made by a German court and enforceable throughout the EU.  :huh:

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2011, 12:47:49 AM
If it can be sold in the Netherlands, then I can't see how they can be prevented from selling it in other EU member states on the basis of the injunction. Only individual EU member states can prevent the sale of good legally sold in another member state, and on very limited grounds. I can't see the basis for that ruling being made by a German court and enforceable throughout the EU.  :huh:
The court was packed with Apple cultists like yourself.  I'm sure they felt that obeying their religious drive was more important than the law.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

This Apple-Samsung fight has been both nasty and entertaining.  Particularly when Apple demanded (and got) Samsung sending them all their not-yet-released phones/tablets so they can "review" them for any patent infringements, then Samsung responding by demanding the same (don't think they got it).

Apple claimed that Samsung's Android user interface is a rip-off of iOS, then Samsung showed some pre-iOS examples of its pre-Android UI for media players that actually indicated that Apple might've ripped off Samsung.

Tech patent litigation is getting ridiculous.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2011, 08:59:49 AM
Apple Tech patent litigation is getting ridiculous.

Fixed that for you.  Apple's always been bad about enforcing "intellectual property" that it didn't actually own rights for- especially over operating systems; remember this is the company that nearly successfully sued Microsoft over Windows being a ripoff of Mac OS, until Microsoft came back and showed that they had actually both ripped off something they'd seen at the Bell labs in Palo Alto. :contract:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 10, 2011, 02:16:51 PM

Fixed that for you.  Apple's always been bad about enforcing "intellectual property" that it didn't actually own rights for- especially over operating systems; remember this is the company that nearly successfully sued Microsoft over Windows being a ripoff of Mac OS, until Microsoft came back and showed that they had actually both ripped off something they'd seen at the Bell labs in Palo Alto. :contract:

Apple is possibly the worst offender, but it ain't alone.  The patent troll firms that do nothing but buy up patents so they can leech money off of large companies are right up there with them.  Apple is at least selling products in the market & contributing to innovation.  Patent trolls contribute nothing and actually stifle innovation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2011, 12:16:02 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 10, 2011, 02:16:51 PM

Apple is possibly the worst offender, but it ain't alone.  The patent troll firms that do nothing but buy up patents so they can leech money off of large companies are right up there with them.  Apple is at least selling products in the market & contributing to innovation.  Patent trolls contribute nothing and actually stifle innovation.

It's not as if Apple hasn't been sued by dozens of different companies (usually patent trolls) as well.

It's tough not to argue that the patent system is out of whack and in need of some reform.  However that hardly means that the patent system is useless, and that companies shouldn't try to enforce patents to protect their own innovations.

And attacking the Look & Feel lawsuit from 20 years ago? :rolleyes:  Apple has been involved in a hell of a lot of patent litigation since then.  Do try and keep up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2011, 06:41:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2011, 12:22:37 AM
I didn't know Samsung was Korean.

That's because you're a moron.

I thought it might have been named after a vocal artists named Samantha.  Or Samuel.  Or I just didn't care enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 11, 2011, 12:43:31 PM
And attacking the Look & Feel lawsuit from 20 years ago? :rolleyes:  Apple has been involved in a hell of a lot of patent litigation since then.  Do try and keep up.

Sure, they've been buying off legit trademark and patent holders since then.  See: Cisco and the iPhone.
Experience bij!