News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL Thread

Started by Barrister, August 06, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

This is going to be an amazing meltdown when Troy Smith proves incapable of throwing a damn ball to Ocho5.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Well they're meeting and nobody is whining to the media.  Is this progress?  I dunno.

CBA expires at midnight.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453429
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

CFL CBA is: dead as a MRF

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453429

Not sure if the league isn't making a mistake by not locking the players out.  The article talks about how both sides are making progress, but you'd hate to see the league start up, even get into the season, only to see the players call a strike (or even worse - cancel the Grey Cup! :o).

Grey Fox

The league can not afford any kind of bad PR.

Lock outs are bad PR.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 11:40:25 AM
The league can not afford any kind of bad PR.

Lock outs are bad PR.

Cancelling the Grey Cup - epic bad PR.

They could lock players out of training camp and still get things done in time for the regular season to start on time.  Would be unfair to the never-played-before RedBlacks, but such is life.

Grey Fox

Better to have the training camp & lock out the players on the eve of the season than right now.

It wouldn't achieve anything.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 11:53:43 AM
Better to have the training camp & lock out the players on the eve of the season than right now.

It wouldn't achieve anything.

Sure it would.  Look at what the NFL did a couple years ago - lockout on the eve of training camp.  Regular season started on time.

Grey Fox

Yes but at the time the NFLPA hadn't buldge from it's original demands. The CFLPD has agreed to drop the revenu sharing part out of their demands. If the league locks out now, the PA will respond to that pressure with redemanding a revenu sharing scheme and you are back to square 1.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 12:03:50 PM
Yes but at the time the NFLPA hadn't buldge from it's original demands. The CFLPD has agreed to drop the revenu sharing part out of their demands. If the league locks out now, the PA will respond to that pressure with redemanding a revenu sharing scheme and you are back to square 1.

They've dropped revenue sharing, but not a cap tied to revenues.

Grey Fox

Of course not, that would be an unacceptable situation.

Modern leagues have cap tied to revenues.  Is the CFL a modern league or just a micro version of the MLB?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 12:09:14 PM
Of course not, that would be an unacceptable situation.

Modern leagues have cap tied to revenues.  Is the CFL a modern league or just a micro version of the MLB?

Terrible comparison.  CFL has a hard cap.  MLB has nothing of the sort.

It's a league whose revenues are a virtual rounding error when compared to the big four pro sports, and of whom the Ontario teams are struggling mightily.

Grey Fox

It's an apt comparison.

They are 2 leagues stuck in the past.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2014, 12:19:39 PM
It's an apt comparison.

They are 2 leagues stuck in the past.

So how many community owned teams are there in MLB?

Grey Fox

Valmy

American sports leagues are run like the Holy Roman Empire and the Elector Princes don't like competition from burghers like the Green Bay Packers. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."