News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL Thread

Started by Barrister, August 06, 2011, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

But the NCAA is an inferior products to the NBA, how can you enjoy that?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 12:45:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 12:21:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 18, 2013, 10:07:17 PM
Trolls gonna troll.

You have to admit the quality of football this season was pretty poor.   The NFL is now quick to take the players that show potential and so the CFL has become the de facto farm league for the NFL.

It wasnt always this way.  But now that the economics are so one sided you have to have a pretty big blind spot caused by your fandom to ignore the result.

Actually, if you followed the league, you'd know that the CFL-NFL agreement that allowed players to leave midway through a CFL contract to try out for the NFL has expired.  Anyone who signs with a CFL club has to play out their full contract.

But don't let facts get in the way of your trolling.

That is why I used the term de facto.  It used to be both a de facto and de jure farm league for a brief time.  But now the NFL realizes it doesnt have to pay for the benefits.

Dont let facts get in the way of ignoring the what the CFL has become.

The CFL has a salary cap of $4.4 million per team.  The NFL has a salary cap of $123 million per team.  These numbers are no surprise to anyone here, least of all me.  The CFL hasn't seriously competed with the NFL for talent since the early 1980s (Rocket Ismail doesn't really count and was still over 20 years ago).

The CFL is still however the second best pro football league in the world, with more tradition in its left pinky finger than the NFL has in its entire body, and more Canadianness than a half dozen mounties covered in maple syrup inside a Tim Horton's.

You don't like the CFL?  Fine.  Personally, I absolutely love it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 12:54:31 PM
The CFL has a salary cap of $4.4 million per team.  The NFL has a salary cap of $123 million per team.  These numbers are no surprise to anyone here, least of all me.  The CFL hasn't seriously competed with the NFL for talent since the early 1980s

Exactly.  I am not sure why you are arguing the point.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 01:02:59 PM
The CFL has a salary cap of $4.4 million per team.  The NFL has a salary cap of $123 million per team.  These numbers are no surprise to anyone here, least of all me.  The CFL hasn't seriously competed with the NFL for talent since the early 1980s

I'm stating facts because I'm not exactly sure what your ultimate point is.  You said the CFL is a "de facto farm league for the NFL".  I pointed out that's not quite true because the CFL-NFL agreement has expired, but conceded that the two leagues don't significantly compete for talent.

But what exactly is your point again anyways.  What does any talk about "economics" or farm league" or 'poor quality of football this season' have to do with your initial comment (that Neil correctly labelled trolling)?

Quote from: crazy canuck
Some pretty boring football.

I don't watch the CFL to see "the best players in the world" or the "most highly paid players in the world".  I watch it to be entertained, and while the West final wasn't quite 'all that', I was quite thoroughly entertained by the East Final.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 01:32:32 PM

I'm stating facts because I'm not exactly sure what your ultimate point is.  You said the CFL is a "de facto farm league for the NFL".  I pointed out that's not quite true because the CFL-NFL agreement has expired, but conceded that the two leagues don't significantly compete for talent.

You understand what de facto means right?

You seem unclear on the concept since you are claiming that a de facto relationship doesnt exist simply because the express contractual relationship ended.

The two leagues dont compete for talent because the CFL cant compete with the NFL.  All the best football talent goes to the NFL and the CFL attracts whatever is left.  If a player first goes to the CFL and turns out to be good enough to attract the attention of the NFL then he will leave and go to the NFL.  Who in their right mind would play in the CFL if they have an opportunity to play in the big leagues?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 01:32:32 PM

You understand what de facto means right?

You seem unclear on the concept since you are claiming that a de facto relationship doesnt exist simply because the express contractual relationship ended.

The two leagues dont compete for talent because the CFL cant compete with the NFL.  All the best football talent goes to the NFL and the CFL attracts whatever is left.  If a player first goes to the CFL and turns out to be good enough to attract the attention of the NFL then he will leave and go to the NFL.  Who in their right mind would play in the CFL if they have an opportunity to play in the big leagues?

So what?

crazy canuck

It matters to those of us who would rather watch talented players play football then a league that cannot compete for talented players and has to make do with the players that were not good enough.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 02:08:32 PM
It matters to those of us who would rather watch talented players play football then a league that cannot compete for talented players and has to make do with the players that were not good enough.

Like NCAA Basketball in the "one and done" era?

Grey Fox

Hey! I said that about a 1000 words ago.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2013, 02:40:20 PM
Hey! I said that about a 1000 words ago.
And I give credit where credit is due. :hug:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 02:39:11 PM

You would have done poorly on the old SAT format.

The NCAA attracts players who could go straight to the NBA.  People watch Kansas for a lot of reasons.  Wiggins is now one of those reasons.

The CFL does not attract players who could go straight to the NFL - as you have already admitted.  If it did then more people might watch.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 02:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 02:39:11 PM

You would have done poorly on the old SAT format.

The NCAA attracts players who could go straight to the NBA.  People watch Kansas for a lot of reasons.  Wiggins is now one of those reasons.

The CFL does not attract players who could go straight to the NFL - as you have already admitted.  If it did then more people might watch.

There are 300+ Division I NCAA Basketball programs out there.  Wiggins is one man on one team.  The overwhelmingly huge majority of Division I Basketball players will never get a sniff of the NBA because they just aren't good enough.

There are plenty of reasons to watch college basketball.  I'm not saying you're wrong to be a fan. 

But I am saying that you're just trolling in this thread.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 03:01:34 PM
There are 300+ Division I NCAA Basketball programs out there.  Wiggins is one man on one team.  The overwhelmingly huge majority of Division I Basketball players will never get a sniff of the NBA because they just aren't good enough.

Now, tell me BB, which of those games do you think get televised?  The thing about the NCAA is that the games that are televised are usually games played by teams that have good players that have good prospects of making it to the NBA.

Now contrast that with the CFL where we have to watch players that are playing in that league because they could not play in the NFL.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2013, 03:04:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 03:01:34 PM

Now, tell me BB, which of those games do you think get televised?  The thing about the NCAA is that the games that are televised are usually games played by teams that have good players that have good prospects of making it to the NBA.

Now contrast that with the CFL where we have to watch players that are playing in that league because they could not play in the NFL.

:ike:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2013, 03:07:04 PM
:ike:

Yep, when you try to make a case for the CFL based on talent that is pretty much what you are left with.